Looking for the most perfect and savory vegetarian lunch? Try this healthy Roasted Vegetable Sandwich! Layered with colorful roasted vegetables, cheese, and savory seasonings, every bite is packed with flavor!
Easy, healthy, and savory vegetable sandwiches
There’s so much to love about a foolproof Roasted Vegetable Sandwich. Not only is it a great “clean out your fridge” (or garden) meal, but every bite is packed with savory flavors, tender cooked veggies, and of course, cheese! You can dig into this vegetable sandwich after just 30 minutes and add as many toppings or extra flavors as you like.
Mouthwatering vegetarian sandwiches can be served at barbecues, picnics, for easy weeknight dinners, or when you need a quick and easy lunch. Keep the flavors on theme with only Mediterranean vegetables, seasonal vegetables, or use whatever you have at home. The recipe is so flexible and the add-in options are endless!
What vegetables can you put in a roasted vegetable sandwich?
I made this veg sandwich recipe with mushrooms, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, and green beans but you could add even more or make as many substitutions as you want. Try any of these suggestions:
- Butternut squash
- Leafy greens
- Red bell pepper
- Sweet potatoes
Not quite what you’re looking for? Head to my Vegetable Index for even more inspiration.
How to make roasted vegetable sandwiches
These veggie sandwiches couldn’t be easier to put together. All you have to do is roast the vegetables, place them in a roll, and top with cheese or any other sandwich toppings you love! They’re ready to eat after a few simple steps:
Place the prepared vegetables on a large baking sheet.
Mix the oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt, black pepper, and olive oil together in a small bowl.
Drizzle the olive oil and seasoning mixture over top of the veggies and toss to coat.
Roast the vegetables until they’re fork tender, flipping them halfway through the baking time.
Scoop the roasted vegetables into sandwich rolls and add cheese on top to melt. I like to add some extra veggies on top of the cheese too!
- Bread – Layer the veggies into hoagie (hero) rolls, gluten free bread, crusty rolls, homemade sourdough bread or regular sliced sandwich bread.
- Add meat – Throw in some chicken, ground beef, or sliced turkey to please the meat eaters!
- Sandwich spread – Spread pesto sauce, spicy mayonnaise, mustard, barbecue sauce, or gravy on the sandwich bread. Alternatively, you can stir the roasted vegetables in some cherry tomato sauce for extra flavor and heat.
- Alternative cooking methods – Grill the veggies for deeper smoky flavors or turn them into roasted vegetable paninis by grilling the sandwiches in a panini press.
- Toppings and extra flavor – Mix in or top the sandwiches with sun-dried tomatoes, candied jalapenos, fresh herbs, romaine lettuce, spinach, radishes, pickled red onions, or balsamic reduction.
What to serve with a vegetable sandwich
Roasted or grilled vegetable sandwiches are delicious with all sorts of sides, whether you’re craving something simple or more extravagant. Keep things simple and enjoy these sandwiches next to french fries, cilantro lime rice, black bean corn salsa, or mashed potatoes. For elaborate picnics and barbecues, go all out with this Italian pasta salad, no mayo potato salad, and cheesy eggplant casserole.
Looking for more vegetarian recipes?
Looking for more sandwich recipes?
Pin for later:
Roasted Vegetable SandwichPrint
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 green bell peppers sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup green beans cut into thirds
- 1 jalapeno pepper remove the seeds, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 4 slices cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and green beans on a large baking sheet that's been sprayed with nonstick spray. Depending on baking sheet size, you might need to use 2.
- In a small bowl mix oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt + pepper and olive oil.
- Pour olive oil mixture on the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Bake vegetables for 25 minutes, flipping half way.
- Remove from oven, and divide vegetables on sandwich rolls, adding a slice of cheese to each sandwich. Serve and enjoy!