Easy recipe for the best Tri Color Italian Pasta Salad. This fresh tasting meal only takes 20 minutes to put together from start to finish.
The Best Italian Pasta Salad
We absolutely love this Italian Pasta Salad. It’s perfect for quick weeknight meals, but also a favorite for Summer picnics in the park. Unlike some pasta salads that call for meat, this is vegetarian as we prefer the simplicity with just vegetables and pasta.
This pasta salad only takes 20 minutes worth of prep and then you chill it. Here’s a video I made to show you just how easy it is to make!
Which pasta is best for pasta salad?
You want to use a pasta shape that has lots of nooks and crannies to make sure the Italian dressing and herbs get into every little bit. Pasta like rotini, penne, fusilli, and farfalle are perfect for pasta salad.
Can I make pasta salad the night before?
Absolutely! I actually think pasta salad tastes better when prepared the night before. Tip: right before serving it add a tablespoon (or 2) of salad dressing to freshen it up
How long does pasta salad last for?
Keep any leftover pasta salad in a covered container in the fridge. Leftovers will last 5 days, making perfect lunch and dinner meals!
How to Make Italian Pasta Salad
Prep: Cook pasta according to box. Drain and place in large serving bowl. Chop up celery and half tomatoes.
Mix: Add salad dressing, celery, tomatoes, olives, basil and oregano to the bowl and mix. Add shredded cheese and mix again.
And because I know some people don’t like olives, you can totally skip them if you want.
Chill and Serve: Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator, for at least 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!
Does Tri Color pasta taste different?
No, tri color pasta does not taste any different than regular pasta. The pasta color is a fun alternative to the usual pasta, but the only difference is visually.
Help! My pasta salad tastes dry.
This is a pretty quick fix. You need to cook the pasta perfectly, not undercooked or overcooked. Make sure to follow the box directions and taste test before draining. If you undercook the pasta, Italian dressing and seasonings won’t stick to it.
Other Easy Pasta Recipes You’ll Like:
Creamy Pasta with Cauliflower
Rigatoni with Sausage
Cabbage and Noodles
Parsley Parmesan Pasta
Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
White Sauce Lasagna
Pin for later:
Tri Color Italian Pasta SaladPrint
- 12 oz box tri color rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 3 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Prepare your pasta as directed on box. Drain and place pasta in a big serving bowl.
- Add salad dressing, celery, tomatoes, olives, basil and oregano. Stir to fully combine. Add mozzarella cheese on top and mix again.
- Cover bowl with lid or plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill (at least an hour, can be overnight).
- Remove from refrigerator and stir to freshen up. If salad looks a little dry (especially if you let it sit overnight), add a tablespoon (or 2) of salad dressing and stir. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Comment