This white sauce lasagna recipe is one of our favorite comfort foods. Lasagna noodles are layered with spaghetti sauce, cheese, and a rich creamy alfredo inspired sauce.
Having simple dinner recipes that I can make during the week and that reheat well to make a few meals is a must have for my family. Cue, this white sauce lasagna recipe!
The Best Lasagna White Sauce
This is where things go from just okay to over-the-top amazing! Instead of using ricotta cheese in this lasagna, we’re going to use a flavorful white sauce. I actually think it makes for a way tastier lasagna recipe. The white sauce is just SO GOOD – you’ll want to put it on everything!
You need only 4 ingredients to make this white sauce happen:
Making this homemade alfredo-type sauce adds so much wonderful flavor to this white sauce lasagna recipe. It makes it so creamy, dreamy, and delicious!
How To Make White Sauce Lasagna
Lasagna has a few steps of layering, but this dish is worth every second! To make this white sauce lasagna recipe:
- Cook lasagna noodles according to box instructions. You will need 15 noodles for this recipe. Drain and set aside.
- Make the cheesy cream sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add garlic and mix until butter is completely melted. Next, add flour, a little at a time, whisking so the butter and flour combine into a creamy mixture. Then, add milk, 1 cup at a time, continuing to whisk. Once all milk is added, keep whisking for about 5-7 minutes, until sauce thickens. You’ll want to make sure you keep on stirring, so it doesn’t burn. Last, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce.
- Add a layer of lasagna noodles on top of the spaghetti sauce.
- Now, add the cream sauce on top of the noodles.
- More spaghetti sauce goes on top of the white cream sauce. Swirl it with the white sauce to cover the noodles.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. This gives the lasagna a nice crisp on top!
- Repeat the layering steps 4 times, until your lasagna has 5 layers.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Once cooked, allow lasagna to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
This lasagna is super easy and packed with flavor, but you can still customize it to your palate with a variety of different ingredients.
- Meat: Add cooked ground beef, sausage or chicken into the spaghetti sauce before layering.
- Sauce: Use a spaghetti sauce variety based on the flavors you want to give this lasagna. If you like a little spice, use a spicy marinara sauce.
- Add-ins: You can add other ingredients to the spaghetti sauce before layering, such as cooked mushrooms, spinach or artichoke hearts.
How To Reheat Lasagna
To reheat a whole lasagna from the refrigerator, heat it covered on the center rack in the oven at 375 degrees F for about 35-40 minutes.
To reheat a single slice of lasagna in the microwave, simply drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of water over the lasagna and heat it on high for about 2 minutes. Try slicing into the middle of the lasagna to see if it needs more heat. If it needs more heat, cook it a little longer in the microwave in 30 second increments.
If you want major comfort and flavor this Winter season, you’ve got to add this white sauce lasagna to your list. Lasagna with white sauce is the quintessential winter meal that MUST happen in your life.
PS. Thanks for the guest appearance Enceladus. She thought blue dog needed to be in the picture too. 🙂
More Cheesy Dinner Recipes You’ll Love:
Pin for later:
White Sauce LasagnaPrint
- 15 lasagna noodles (1 pound box of lasagna}
- White Sauce see recipe below
- 24 ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- Cook lasagna noodles according to box. You will need 15 noodles for this recipe. Drain and set aside.
- Now we’re going to make the white sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add garlic and mix until butter is completely melted. Add flour, a little at a time, whisking so the butter and flour combine into a creamy mixture. Add milk, 1 cup at a time, continuing to whisk. Once all milk is added, keep whisking for about 5-7 minutes, until sauce thickens. You’ll want to make sure you keep on stirring, so it doesn’t burn. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce. Add a layer of lasagna noodles on top. Add cream sauce on top. Add spaghetti sauce on top, swirling it with the white sauce to cover the noodles. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Repeat step above 4 times, until your lasagna has 5 layers.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.