Salty, sweet, and packed with protein, these Peanut Butter Protein Cookies are a filling way to enjoy a classic cookie. Made with peanut butter, chocolate chips, and your favorite chocolate protein powder, these nutty cookies are sure to satisfy every time!
Protein powder cookies
Let’s be honest, peanut butter cookies are addicting! They’re sweet, salty, and perfectly chewy. Whenever I make my Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies, Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies, or Peanut Butter Blossoms, I find it hard to stop myself from eating too many.
Thankfully, Peanut Butter Protein Cookies always swoop in to save the day! Packed with luscious peanut butter and chocolate protein powder, these cookies taste just like a classic peanut butter cookie but fill you up quickly to prevent further snacking.
These protein powder cookies make for a great on-the-go snack, post-workout treat, or even dessert on nights when dinner didn’t quite scratch the hunger itch. They’re quick and easy and can be made from start to finish in under 30 minutes. All you need are 12 pantry staple ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard!
Make a fresh batch for friends or store them away for an easy snack. I personally like to keep a bag or two of these high-protein peanut butter cookies in my freezer to nibble on anytime I’m feeling snacky between meals.
How to make peanut butter protein cookies
These one bowl peanut butter protein cookies are a sweet and filling snack that can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. All you need to get started are a few ingredients, a hand mixer, and a hot oven:
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, sugar, light brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Add the flour, chocolate protein powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda to the peanut butter mixture and mix until combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Use a cookie scoop or a spoon to form your cookie dough into 1-inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet (I like using silicone baking mats). Use a fork to gently push each cookie ball down twice, making a criss-cross pattern.
Bake the cookies until the edges are golden brown. Let them cool on a wire rack, then dig in!
Tips for the best protein cookies
- Don’t overmix the cookie dough – You only want to mix the wet and dry ingredients together until everything is just combined. Overmixing will lead to tough or dry cookies.
- Sift the dry ingredients – I recommend sifting your dry ingredients so you don’t end up with any lumps of flour or protein powder in the cookies.
- Choose your peanut butter wisely – The type of peanut butter you use will greatly affect the texture and flavor of your finished protein cookies. I recommend using an all natural creamy peanut butter for the best nutty flavors. You can also use crunchy all natural peanut butter for texture, replace it with almond butter, or use sunflower seed butter as a nut free option.
- Use any protein powder you like – There are plenty of options to choose from! I like the flavor of chocolate protein powder but almost any flavor of vegan or whey protein will work.
- Need more protein powder recipes? Try my Chocolate Protein Powder Oatmeal and Strawberry Protein Smoothie.
Storing and freezing peanut butter cookies
To store: Store the cooled baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for 10 days.
To freeze the unbaked cookie dough: Roll the dough into 1-inch cookie balls, place them on a cookie sheet, and transfer it to the freezer. When they’re frozen solid, transfer the dough balls to a ziploc bag and freeze for up to 2 months. The cookies can be baked from frozen but may need a few extra minutes in the oven
To freeze the baked cookies: Place any leftover peanut butter protein cookies in an airtight container or ziploc bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Looking for more chewy cookies to snack on?
- Chewy Confetti Cookies
- Apple Pie Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peppermint M&M Cookies
Pin for later:
Peanut Butter Protein CookiesPrint
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick spray.
- Mix butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg and vanilla together until creamy in a large bowl.
- Add flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda to mixture. Continue to mix until a cookie dough mixture forms.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place cookies on baking sheet. Use the back of a fork to make a criss-cross appearance on every cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with additional sugar on top.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until slightly golden brown around the edges.