This Quesadilla Casserole is an easy Mexican casserole recipe that includes layers of tortillas, ground beef, black beans, corn and cheese, all made into a perfect quesadilla bake. A quick and simple meal that the whole family will love!
I make Mexican food for dinner at least once a week, I often whip up Chicken Tortilla Soup, Instant Pot Tacos, Black Bean Tacos or this fabulous Quesadilla Casserole. Add your favorite toppings and watch the rave reviews come in for this Mexican Casserole recipe!
One of the Best Mexican Casserole Recipes!
Sometimes there’s just nothing better than a piping hot casserole, loaded with cheese of course! This easy ground beef Quesadilla Casserole is so simple to put together, but really delivers in the flavor department. I love Mexican food, especially quesadillas but sometimes I just don’t have the time to make individual quesadillas. This quesadilla bake has all of the same flavors in half the prep time.
What Ingredients Are In Quesadilla Casserole?
- Ground beef
- Tomato sauce
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Black beans (or pinto beans)
- Chopped green chiles
- Chili powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Flour tortillas
How Do You Make a Mexican Casserole?
This baked Mexican casserole is really very simple. Start by sautéing onion and beef until beef is browned.
Next, add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, corn and green chiles to skillet. Mix well. Add chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes to skillet. Continue mixing.
Bring to a boil and let this mixture simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.
Now it’s time to stack together the layers. Spread ½ cup of the beef mixture in a 13×9 baking dish.
Add 2 tortillas on top, overlapping them in the middle.
Add ½ of the remaining beef mixture on top of the tortillas.
Add ½ cup cheese on top of ground beef. Repeat again with tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.
Last, bake for 20 minutes to golden brown perfection. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips For Quesadilla Casserole
- This casserole can be assembled up to 2 days before you plan to serve it.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a large crowd.
- You can freeze this casserole for easy weeknight meals.
Mexican Casserole Variations
There are so many different ways to customize this casserole to your preferences!
- Protein: Try using ground turkey or chicken instead of the beef.
- Beans: Pinto beans work well if you don’t have black beans on hand.
- Tortillas: This recipe works well with both corn and flour tortillas, so choose whichever one your family prefers.
- Cheese: I typically make this dish with cheddar cheese, but other great options are Monterey Jack, Colby and Pepper Jack.
- Toppings: This casserole is wonderful as is, but it’s extra tasty topped with guacamole, sour cream, fresh cilantro and/or salsa.
This is a great recipe to have for those busy nights when you don’t have a ton of time to get dinner on the table. Often I’ll make this on Sunday for a meal planning to serve on Monday or Tuesday. It’s a crowd pleaser for both kids and adults alike.
Other Casserole Recipes You Might Like
Pin for later:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes don’t drain
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (or pinto beans) drained
- 1 8 ounce can of whole kernel corn drained
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles don’t drain
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown beef and onion in large skillet on medium-high heat, drain. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, corn and green chiles to skillet. Mix well.
- Add chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes to skillet. Continue mixing.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Spread ½ cup of the beef mixture in a 13×9 baking dish. Add 2 tortillas on top, overlapping them in the middle.
- Add ½ of the remaining beef mixture on top of the tortillas. Add ½ cup cheese on top of ground beef. Repeat again with tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.