Cabbage Roll Casserole has all the same flavor as classic baked cabbage rolls, but with way less work! This unstuffed cabbage roll casserole combines layers of meat, rice, tomatoes and cabbage for an easy adaptation of the classic cabbage roll that is perfect for a busy weeknight meal!
If you love cabbage rolls, but don’t love all the work involved, this easy baked cabbage roll casserole is for you! It’s definitely one of my favorite meals to prepare. It’s super easy, hearty, filling and the perfect choice for an easy dinner option.
As a girl, I would always look forward to when my Mom told me it was Cabbage Roll night! Her cabbage rolls were passed on to by her Polish Mother, and now I’m sharing it in casserole form.
I’ve always been a fan of baked cabbage rolls and as delicious as they are, I’m not a fan of how much work goes into making them. There’s boiling the cabbage, making the filling, wrapping everything up and then the bake time, it can turn into an all day affair! This cabbage roll casserole has all the same yumminess as the traditional cabbage rolls, but with a fraction of the prep time.
INGREDIENTS IN CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
The ingredients in this dish are mostly all pantry staples that you probably already have.
- ground beef
- green bell pepper
- instant rice
- canned diced tomatoes
- canned tomato soup
- Worcestershire sauce
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
To make your unstuffed cabbage roll casserole, you’ll need to start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then place shredded cabbage in a 9×13” baking dish. Spread the cabbage around to completely cover the bottom of the dish.
Now, get your ground beef, chopped onion and chopped green pepper cooking in a skillet, over medium-high heat. Cook until beef is browned and veggies are soft. Once cooked, spread beef mixture over the top of the cabbage.
Add the rice and diced tomatoes on top of the beef mixture. You can used canned diced tomatoes or homemade diced tomatoes.
Mix tomato soup, water and Worcestershire sauce together in a small bowl. Pour this soup mixture over the top of the casserole, ensuring that you cover the entire top layer.
Cover with the casserole with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Once baked, you’ll end up with a tasty, hearty meal that has the most wonderful flavors.
There is so much going on here, between the meat, veggies and rice, that it’s really a complete meal in one dish. Boy, do I love casseroles! I do like to serve this cabbage roll casserole with a fresh green salad, just to round out the meal. Even my daughter gobbles this one up and didn’t even mind the cabbage pieces, which normally she might not eat.
This casserole is, of course, fabulous straight out of the oven, but it also makes great leftovers too. It’s absolutely the most perfect comfort food, especially as the evenings start to cool down some. And the quick prep time makes it ideal for a busy weeknight.
TIPS FOR CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
- Save time by purchasing cabbage that has already been shredded. This can be found in most grocery stores near other bagged salad options.
- It is important for this casserole that you use instant rice. You’ll see that I’ve included a photo, for reference within this post.
- Wanting to use your slow cooker? I have you covered with my Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole.
- If you’re gluten free, make sure you use a gluten free version of tomato soup. I love Amy’s Cream of Tomato soup.
- If your family loves this meal as much as mine does, consider making a double batch. You can freeze the extra dish or enjoy leftovers throughout the week.
- To freeze the casserole, fully cook it and then let it cool completely. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve it, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a microwave or in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- If you have leftover cabbage, make this Ham and Cabbage Soup.
VARIATIONS OF CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
- If you want to keep this dish lean, use lean ground beef, or try using ground turkey or chicken.
- Feel free to add your favorite cheese to this cabbage roll casserole. If you do decide to use cheese, I would add a sprinkling of about 1 cup over the top about 5 minutes before the casserole is fully cooked.
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Pin for later:
Cabbage Roll CasserolePrint
- 1 medium sized head cabbage finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small green pepper diced
- ½ cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 15o z can diced tomatoes
- 1 10.75 oz can can tomato soup
- 1 soup can filled with water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cabbage in a 9x13” baking dish, spreading it around to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Brown meat with chopped onion and green pepper in a skillet over medium-high heat. Spread beef mixture on top of cabbage.
- Add rice and diced tomatoes on top of beef mixture.
- Mix tomato soup, water and Worcestershire sauce together in a bowl. Pour this soup mixture on top of the casserole, trying to cover the entire top layer.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour, 15 minutes.