Hearty Baked Spaghetti Casserole made with spaghetti, ground beef, ricotta and shredded mozzarella cheese. Great for a big family meal and leftovers!
Oh my, this Hearty Baked Spaghetti Casserole dish is a crowd pleaser! Filled with zesty meat, spaghetti, and cheesy goodness, this pasta casserole has everything you need for a delicious meal. Give your family a break from boring classic spaghetti and serve them this spaghetti casserole recipe instead! It’s the perfect weeknight dinner!
Why You’ll Love Baked Spaghetti Casserole
This easy-baked spaghetti recipe is the perfect way to take your traditional spaghetti recipe and turn it into something cheesy and delicious! If you’re looking for a change of pace, this easy recipe is for you! It has all the flavors of spaghetti you love and then some! The ricotta cheese adds so much flavor and creaminess to this dish. You won’t be able to get enough of it! Next time you can’t decide what to eat for dinner, serve this heart spaghetti casserole—the whole family will thank you!
What’s in Baked Spaghetti Casserole?
- Spaghetti noodles
- Ground beef (or Italian sausage)
- Onion, chopped
- Green bell pepper, chopped
- Cloves garlic, minced
- Spaghetti sauce (you can also use homemade spaghetti sauce if you have some on hand)
- Parmesan cheese
- Butter, melted
- Ricotta cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
How Do You Make Baked Spaghetti Casserole?
Once you have all your ingredients, you’re ready to get started!
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, cook spaghetti according to the package directions. Once the noodles are done, drain and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, green pepper, and minced garlic, and cook until the meat is browned.
Then, add spaghetti sauce, salt, and pepper into the skillet and stir until fully combined.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, parmesan, and melted butter together. Add cooked spaghetti and toss until the noodles are fully coated with the egg mixture.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place ½ of the spaghetti mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
Add ricotta cheese on top, spreading it out evenly.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Add ½ of the meat sauce on top.
Repeat the layer one more time.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake. Remove foil and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for a couple more minutes or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Serve and enjoy this delicious spaghetti casserole!
What else can I use besides ricotta cheese?
You can use cottage cheese or sour cream instead of ricotta cheese for this recipe. Once the sour cream is cooked, it takes on a very similar texture to ricotta cheese.
Can I use Italian Sausage instead of ground beef?
Absolutely, you can swap ground Italian Sausage instead of lean ground beef. You can even use ground turkey or chicken if you prefer!
Why do you put eggs in baked spaghetti?
Baked spaghetti contains all the same ingredients as a classic spaghetti dish, plus eggs. Why? The addition of eggs binds all the ingredients together.
Do you have to pre-cook pasta before baking?
Yes, you must cook your pasta before placing it into the casserole dish. There is not enough water in the casserole dish to fully cook the noodles. Instead, you’ll end up with crunchy noodles within your casserole—yuck!
Should I cover the pasta bake in the oven?
Yes, for most of the time in the oven, your casserole should be covered. This will trap the heat and moisture, allowing your casserole to cook evenly and not dry out. However, for the last 15 minutes, you can uncover it and add the remaining cheese. This is how you achieve the lightly browned melty cheese on top of your spaghetti bake!
What to serve with?
Serve with your Italian bread, garlic knots or garlic bread. Need some vegetables? Roast up some broccoli and crockpot mushrooms on the side! This meal pairs well with a range of side dishes, so whatever you’re feeling!
How to Store Baked Spaghetti Casserole?
If you find yourself with some leftovers, you can store and place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days! We love to enjoy our leftovers for lunch the next day or for dinner again! There’s just something so satisfying about reheating leftover casserole for lunch! You can even send your guests home with a few Tupperware containers full of leftovers if you prefer not to keep them yourself.
Next time you’re craving comfort food, you’ve got the perfect meal for it. Who doesn’t love a hearty dish topped with gooey cheese? This comforting casserole is such an easy recipe to put together. It is truly a staple recipe you can come back to time and time again, no matter the season. This easy-baked spaghetti recipe is one the entire family can agree on. Perfect for a special occasion or your regular weeknight dinner.
Other Casseroles You’ll Like:
Taco Spaghetti Casserole
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Tater Tot Casserole
French Fry Casserole
Leftover Spaghetti Casserole
Texas Toast Casserole
Pin for later:
Baked Spaghetti CasserolePrint
- 1 16 ounce package spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 32 ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook spaghetti according to the box. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add ground beef, onion, green pepper and minced garlic and cook until the meat is browned. Drain excess fat from the pan and return back to the burner over low heat.
- Add spaghetti sauce, salt and pepper into the skillet and stir to fully combine.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, Parmesan and melted butter together. Add in cooked spaghetti and toss to fully coat with egg mixture.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place ½ of the spaghetti mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Add 1 cup of ricotta cheese on top, spreading it out. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Add ½ of the meat sauce on top. Repeat the layer one more time.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle the last 1 cup of remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 15 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Comment