Easy, tasty and inexpensive Potato Hamburger Casserole. This hearty ground beef casserole is like a big hug to your belly during the Fall and Winter. This is always a hit at the family dinner table with everyone!
You’re going to love this Potato Casserole with Ground Beef!
This ground beef casserole with potatoes is such a hearty comforting meal that I know your family is going to love (because mine does!). During the Fall and Winter months, it’s on our dinner table every couple weeks, to warm up our bellies after a long day at work and school.
Besides the taste, I love it because it’s fairly easy to make. You don’t need to cook the potatoes ahead of time. Heck, I don’t even peel the potatoes. Slice the potatoes up, add them to a baking dish, and then add the rest on top.
The preference of serving this as a main course or side dish is up to you, but we always serve this as a main course with hawaiian sweet rolls on the side.
- ground beef
- chopped onion
- minced garlic
- potatoes, sliced thin (peeling is up to you but I don’t)
- cream of mushroom soup
- salt & pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
Don’t have cream of mushroom soup?
You can also use cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of broccoli – all of them work well! You can also make your own homemade cream of mushroom soup if you have fresh mushrooms on hand!
Add some corn:
This is a bonus, but if enjoying this during the Summer months I will often add 1 cup of sweet corn (from our garden), straight off the cob into the baking dish. We love the sweet crunch that it adds to the casserole! Don’t have fresh corn? You can also add frozen or canned, just be sure to drain it first.
How to Make Potato Ground Beef Casserole
Brown ground beef in a skillet along with onions and minced garlic. Drain beef.
You can even add some chopped green bell pepper or corn if you’d like for extra crunch.
Place the sliced potatoes down in a 11×8 baking dish.
In a bowl mix together cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper. The cream mixture is very basic, but I can’t tell you how many times my husband has asked me what’s in it because it’s that good!
Pour the cream mixture on top of the potatoes, covering all of them.
Add ground beef mixture on top.
Cover with foil and bake until the potatoes are fork tender, about 60-65 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top and bake for a few more minutes until cheese is melted. You can use orange or white cheddar cheese, but I love the look of melted white cheddar more!
Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes to set and cool down.
Serve and enjoy this delicious potato hamburger casserole!
Store leftovers and reheating
Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Ground beef casserole is good for 3-4 days.
To reheat, heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warm, or place in the oven at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, or until fully warmed up.
Pin for later:
Potato Hamburger Casserole (Ground Beef)Print
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups potatoes thinly sliced (no peeling is needed)
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add ground beef, onions and minced garlic to skillet and cook over medium high heat until beef is browned. Drain any extra grease from beef.Tip: Want extra crunch? You can add some green bell pepper and corn to the skillet if you'd like!
- Spray a 11×8 baking dish with nonstick spray and place the sliced potatoes down.
- In a bowl mix together mushroom soup, milk, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the potatoes.
- Add the ground beef mixture on top, covering the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven until the potatoes are soft, about 60-65 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes to set. Serve and enjoy! Got leftovers? Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.