This cheesy tater tot casserole is made with ground beef, frozen tater tots, cheddar cheese and cream of mushroom soup. It’s the perfect comfort food that the whole family will love—even the picky eaters!
If you were searching for the perfect solution to dinner on busy weeknights, look no further. This is the perfect weeknight dinner because it’s an easy recipe with simple ingredients and, let’s face it, who doesn’t love crispy tater tots? It’s easily a family favorite for us!
The Best Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
This easy tater tot casserole recipe is effortless to make as the main ingredients are frozen and baked in the oven. This hearty casserole contains six main ingredients (and seasoning): tater tots, ground beef, mushroom soup, cheese, and vegetables.
This classic dish is a delicious dinner, savory and filling—full of flavor in each bite. It’s a great recipe to make for picky kids and eaters.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
Preheat the oven and prepare a 9×13 baking dish.
In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, garlic and green pepper until beef is browned.
Open a can of cream of mushroom soup and pour it into the ground beef mixture. Season as desired.
Once cooked, pour the ground beef mixture into the baking dish.
Then pour in a bag of frozen vegetables.
Next add a bag of frozen tater tots.
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Tip: thick cut shredded cheese always melts better than finely shredded.
Bake until golden brown. Once done, take out, serve, and enjoy this classic comfort food recipe!
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: You can use Cream of Onion Soup or Cream of Chicken Soup instead of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- Ground beef: You can use lean ground beef or ground sausage instead of ground beef.
- Optional onions: You can add a small diced onion along with the green pepper while browning the ground beef.
- Optional toppings: Add crumbled crispy bacon, fried onions or chives on top before serving.
- Optional vegetables: Don’t want to use mixed vegetables? You can pick one bag of frozen vegetables of your choice, such as corn, green beans, peas, carrots, etc.
- Vegetarian option: You can use vegetarian ground ‘beef’ if you are looking for a vegetarian-friendly option.
Refrigerator: Store leftover tater tot casserole in an airtight container and in the refrigerator. Stored properly, it can last up to three to four days.
Freezer: Store leftovers in a freezer-safe container. You can save the casserole for up to six months if stored properly. It’s the perfect freezer meal you can bring out any night of the week if you’re not sure what to make or don’t have a lot of time on your hands.
Reheat: To reheat the leftover tater tot casserole preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Once ready, cover the dish with aluminum foil or the dish lid and bake for 30 minutes. Or reheat in the microwave for a few minutes, check to see if it’s cooked through and cook longer if needed.
What Is Tater Tot Casserole Made Of?
While recipes may vary, the average tater tot casserole is made with ground beef, tater tots, cream, and cheese. This particular tater tot casserole is made of the following ingredients:
- Ground beef
- Green bell pepper
- Can cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper
- Mixed vegetables
- Tater tots
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Can I Make This Casserole Vegetarian-Friendly?
Yes. As noted in the alternative section above, you can make this tater tot casserole vegetarian by adding vegetarian or vegan ground beef alternatives found at major grocery store retailers.
What Is Another Name for Tater Tot Casserole?
A tater tot casserole dish in the Upper Midwest is also known as a ‘tater tot hotdish’. This classic comfort food is especially beloved in Minnesota and North Dakota. While some might think the tater tots are the main component, it’s actually the flavorful and creamy sauce that brings this dish together!
More Delicious Casserole Recipes
Love this easy casserole recipe? If you’re looking for more easy casserole dishes perfect for easy weeknight dinners, check out the following options for more easy dinners:
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Meatball Texas Toast Casserole
- Taco Enchilada Casserole
- Cheesy Taco Casserole
- Cheesy Eggplant Casserole
Pin for later:
Tater Tot CasserolePrint
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 16 ounce package frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add ground beef, garlic and green pepper to a skillet and cook over medium high heat until beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup to the skillet. Add paprika, salt and pepper and mix.
- Pour ground beef mixture into the baking dish. Pour frozen mixed vegetables on top. Layer frozen tater tots on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the oven or until cheesy is bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Comment