This Cheesy French Fry Casserole recipe is made with frozen french fries and shredded cheddar cheese. Easy to make, baked in the oven for 1 hour. Your entire family is going to love these Loaded French Fries!
Everyone loves french fries (especially with burgers!), and everyone loves nachos. So what happens when you combine the two? You get this yummy recipe! This French Fry Casserole is so much fun to eat and it’s loaded with great flavors. You can get creative and really pile on the toppings!
I always have a bag of frozen French fries in my freezer because I always stock up on them when they’re on sale. They are a great time saver for nights when you want a quick and easy side dish or you want a really substantial snack.
Whenever French fries are on sale, usually 2 bags for $5, I always grab two bags.
A few nights ago, I was going through the process of what to make for dinner. There were a few rules:
- I wanted French fries.
- I wanted to use up heavy creamy, which was about to expire.
- I wanted to use some type of garden vegetable.
- I wanted the meal to be quick to prepare. This means frozen French fries.
- I wanted it to be delicious.
And just like that, French Fry Casserole was born!
When I took these loaded French fries out of the oven, I pulled back the foil and I wish I had a video to document Matthew’s reaction. It was pure excitement for this casserole.
How to Make
This recipe is about as simple as it gets. The first step is to preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and cover the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish with frozen french fries. Next, pour the heavy cream over the top and sprinkle on the cheddar cheese. Then, put the chili beans and bell peppers on top of the cheese.
Cover the prepared casserole with foil and poke a fork through the foil 3 times – this helps the steam escape. Bake for 1 hour. Finally, remove the dish from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
The toppings listed here, happen to be our favorites but you can always add any others that you like.
- I used chili beans because I like the flavor but you could either use regular chili, or you could just use regular beans, like black beans or red kidney beans.
- On top, I added a chopped green bell pepper. This gives the casserole a great crunch and it just makes me happy to use anything we grow in the garden. Any color bell pepper will work. Or even add a sliced jalapeno pepper for spice.
- Add diced tomatoes or fresh salsa, in addition to the peppers.
- Try adding shredded chicken or ground beef to the top for a little extra protein and a complete meal. Bacon bits would be yummy too!
- Other fun topping ideas are black olives, pico de gallo, avocado or guacamole and/or sour cream.
What to do with Leftovers?
This dish is best served immediately and if you’re feeding a family, I doubt there will be leftovers, but just in case….
Store the leftover french fries covered in the refrigerator for up to a couple of days. Reheat them in a toaster oven or regular oven at about 350 degrees F for several minutes and until fully heated. I would not recommend reheating these in the microwave, as they will become mushy.
Hope you enjoy this French Fry Casserole for dinner soon!
Pin for later:
French Fry CasserolePrint
- 1 32 oz bag frozen french fries
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 15 oz can chili beans
- 1 green bell pepper chopped up
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with frozen french fries.
- Pour heavy cream on top, over the french fries.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Finally, add chili beans and bell peppers on top, spreading them across the casserole.
- Cover with foil and poke a fork through the foil 3 times, this helps the steam escape.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.