Easy Slow Cooker Taco Soup recipe, made in the crockpot with ground beef and 8 cans. This creamy soup is ready in 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Why I Love This Soup!
Some Taco Soup recipes taste like chili, but this recipe tastes just like tacos! Add some shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips on top, and you’ll think you’re eating tacos!
This is not a thin soup, instead it’s a creamy taco soup. The secret ingredient is a can of refried beans that we add at the end to thicken it up.
It’s only 327 calories per serving making this is a healthy soup recipe filled with vegetables! I am always trying to get my family to eat more vegetables so I love this for a easy weeknight meal! Know that if you add cheese and sour cream on top, the calories will go slightly up.
This is a 8 serving recipe, so if you have a smaller family it can be dinner for 2 nights! If you want to freeze leftovers you can easily put it in freezer bags.
8 Can Ingredients
This is a can heavy recipe, perfect for cleaning out your pantry! Here’s the 8 cans you’ll need:
- black beans
- kidney beans
- whole kernel corn
- dice green chiles
- tomato soup
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- refried beans
How to Slow Cook Taco Soup
Add your ground beef, onion and taco seasoning in a skillet.
Cook until the beef is browned, mixing onion and taco seasoning along with the beef. This takes about 10 minutes.
Add ground beef mixture into the bottom of your Crockpot.
Now add black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, corn, green chiles, tomato soup and beef broth.
Mix so all the ingredients are combined.
Cook on LOW for 7 hours. If you want to cook on high, see the directions below.
After 7 hours, add 1 can of refried beans to the soup and mix around. This will make the soup creamy! Cook for 1 more hour on LOW.
Serve in bowls and add your favorite toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips and maybe some sliced avocado!
How Long to Cook in Slow Cooker?
You can cook taco soup in the slow cooker on high or low, depending on your schedule. Cook on high for 4 hours for a quicker cook time, or cook on low for 8 hours. I have made this soup on both high and low, and both are delicious, although cooking on low results in a more creamy soup.
I want to make this soup vegetarian! Sure. Omit the ground beef and beef broth. Instead use vegetable broth and skip the meat completely.
I want to cook this soup with chicken. Ok. Use ground chicken or shredded chicken breasts, and substitute chicken broth for beef broth.
I love my Instant Pot! How can I make it in there? Brown the beef, onion and taco seasoning in pressure cooker. Add all the other ingredients to the pressure cooker and cook on high for 15 minutes. Serve with your usual toppings!
Other Taco Recipes You Might Like:
Share on Pinterest:
Easy Slow Cooker Taco SoupPrint
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 1.25 ounce package of taco seasoning mix
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can whole kernel corn
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 10.75 ounce can tomato soup
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- Add ground beef, onion and taco seasoning to a large skillet. Cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Put the ground beef mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker. Add black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, corn, green chiles, tomato soup and beef broth. You do not need to drain any of the cans, add the liquids of these cans in too. Mix so all the ingredients are combined.
- Cook on low for 7 hours. Add can of refried beans and mix. Cook on low for 1 more hour.
- Serve in bowls, with shredded cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips on top. Enjoy!