Hearty hashbrown breakfast casserole made with frozen hash browns, breakfast sausage, eggs and cheese. This easy casserole can be prepped overnight and is perfect for Easter and Christmas morning.
I love this breakfast casserole with hash browns and sausage because it’s delicious and no matter where it’s served, it’s always a favorite! For example, my family loves it for lazy weekends and holiday breakfast (I’m totally making this for Easter breakfast next month!). But honestly, sometimes we love it so much that I make it for dinner too!
It’s also great for pot lucks, church breakfast, or whenever you need to serve a bunch of people breakfast. It’s savory, hearty, cheesy and delicious!
How to Make Breakfast Casserole with Hashbrowns and Sausage
Gather your ingredients. Here’s everything you need to make this casserole. This definitely feeds a large family, or a get together pretty easily!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a 13×9 baking dish with nonstick spray. We want to cook the hashbrowns a little bit first to prevent them from getting soggy at the bottom. By cooking them first we’re going to keep them crisp. Spread hashbrowns out on the bottom of the dish. Now add a little salt and pepper on top.
While the hashbrowns are cooking, let’s prepare our pork sausage. Brown in a skillet, along with onion and green pepper. This smells so good!
Now grab your eggs. We’re going to use 1 dozen eggs. Yes, you read that right, 1 dozen eggs. Like I mentioned, this hash brown egg casserole feeds a large family.
Break eggs into a large bowl and beat.
Add milk, cheddar cheese and tomatoes in bowl and stir.
By this time your hashbrowns should be crispy and you can remove them from the oven. I might have sneaked a taste!
Add your browned sausage mixture on top of the hashbrowns, spreading it evenly around.
Finally, pour the egg mixture on top, using a spatula to even it out.
Reduce oven temperature to 350. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and cook an additional 30 minutes. This is going to make a perfectly baked casserole!
Oh la la, look at how delicious this looks!
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, this casserole takes a bit of baking time, so it’s fine to prepare it the night before. I would prepare the casserole as recipe states, skipping the 20 minute bake time for the hash browns. In the morning bake for around 45 minutes covered and 30 minutes uncovered. You might need to add 10-15 extra minutes since it’ll be cold coming from the refrigerator.
Hash browns: If you can find frozen Potatoes O’Brien, you can use them and omit the additional green pepper and onion. That will save you a couple minutes of dicing up vegetables. Ore-Ida makes a bag of these, usually in the frozen section with the french fries.
Meat: Breakfast sausage not your thing? (*gasp*). You can use a pound of diced up cooked bacon instead.
Cheese: Want to add a kick of spice? Use shredded pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
Tomatoes: Do you love RO*TEL tomatoes? Use a can of those (I recommend the kind with diced green chilies) instead of a fresh tomato. Just make sure to drain the can.
Toppings: Some people like this “as is” but some people like toppings. You can add ketchup, taco sauce (my fav), salsa, hot sauce or sour cream on top for a little extra flavor if you prefer.
I hope you love this Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole as much as my family does. Enjoy!
Pin for later:
Hashbrown Breakfast CasserolePrint
- 16 ounces diced hashbrown potatoes
- salt and pepper to season
- 16 ounces breakfast pork sausage
- ¼ cup onion diced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper diced
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a 13×9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread hashbrowns on bottom of dish, gently patting them down. Season with salt and pepper on top. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While hashbrowns are cooking in the oven, brown the breakfast sausage over medium high heat in a skillet, along with diced up onions and green pepper.
- Remove hashbrowns from oven. Spread sausage out on top of the hashbrowns evenly.
- In a large bowl beat eggs. Add milk, shredded cheese and tomato. Stir. Pour mixture over the sausage.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.