CHEESY Chicken Tomatillo Casserole recipe! This easy dinner Mexican casserole uses 1 pound of tomatillos to make a creamy sauce that is layered with tortilla chips, chicken, black beans and cheddar cheese! I love to make this simple dish when my garden tomatillo plants give me too much and I’m left asking asking “What to do!”.
I’m back with another tomatillo recipe! With another 20 pounds of tomatillos picked from the garden I’m trying to think more outside the salsa verde box and wondering what to do with them! For dinner I wanted to make a easy casserole that included chicken breasts, tomatillos, black beans and cheese so this Cheesy Chicken Tomatillo Casserole was born!
If you love Mexican casseroles I think you’re going to like this dish! The tomatillos are thrown into the food processor with a onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, cilantro and spices to make a creamy simple sauce. By the way check out my tip on how to store fresh cilantro!
I wish you could smell how great this tomatillo sauce is!
After the sauce is made then throw your cooked chicken breast in it and cook a bit longer to get rid of any extra liquid. You want to be sure the tomatillo sauce is not liquidy as that will make a soggy casserole and you definitely don’t want that!
The recipe calls for 2 cups of crushed tortilla chips. I’d hate for you to buy a bag of tortilla chips to crush them, so my tip is to always use the bottom of the bag tortilla chips that are already crushed. Alternatively you could also use any crushed taco shells you have.
Use 1/2 of the tortilla chips on the bottom of the casserole dish and then layer with the tomatillo chicken mixture, black beans and cheese.
Then repeat again.
Into the oven goes this dinner dish and out comes a beautiful Cheesy Chicken Tomatillo Casserole!
I love this dish because it gives you nice and crispy edges. Who else loves crispy casserole edges? Yum!
Also who else loves extra cheesy casserole dishes? Raises hand!
Looking for more Mexican dishes? Try my Quesadilla Casserole!
Hope you enjoy this Cheesy Chicken Tomatillo Casserole!
Pin for later:
Cheesy Chicken Tomatillo CasserolePrint
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed (approximately 10 tomatillos)
- 1 small onion
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add tomatillos, onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and salt to a food process or blender. Blend until smooth and no chunks from the vegetables are left. Pour mixture into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken to tomatillo sauce mixture and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. If sauce is very liquidy turn up the heat. Important: you want to try to reduce all the extra liquid or it will make your casserole soggy.
- Spread 1/2 of the tortilla chips in a 8x8 baking dish. Add 1/2 of your chicken tomatillo mixture on top. Add 1/2 of black beans on top. Add 1/2 of cheese on top. Repeat one more time.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.