Cheesy Meatball Texas Toast Casserole is an easy dinner meal, baked in the oven for 30 minutes. It’s made with Texas Toast, meatballs and slices of cheese.
This super easy casserole dish is sure to be a family favorite (my kids love it!). Everyone loves buttery garlic bread and sauce covered meatballs with melted cheese on top! Use this delicious recipe in the future if you’re looking for quick, last minute meals.
The Best Texas Toast Casserole Recipe
This delicious Italian recipe makes for the perfect weeknight dinner because it’s super easy to make. Using premade toast from a box of Texas toast and precooked meatballs quicken the cooking and baking process.
Some also consider this a meatball sub casserole recipe, so if you enjoy those, you are sure to love this dish. This is also a great dish if you host or attend a super bowl Sunday party. It’s like you’re bringing meatball subs for everyone but in a hearty meatball sub casserole form.
How to Make Texas Toast Casserole
Bake Texas Toast in the oven. It’s important to cook it first before we bake the casserole, as it prevents it from becoming soggy.
Microwave meatballs as instructed on their packaging. This will take a few minutes. I like to then cut each meatball in half to make them more bite sized for eating.
Cut the Texas Toast into pieces and place at the bottom of a baking dish.
Add meatballs and tomato sauce on top of garlic toast.
Sprinkle basil on top.
Place cheese slices on top of the entire casserole.
Bake for around 20 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and lightly browns.
Allow the casserole to cool for at least five minutes before serving and then enjoy your cheesy meatball casserole!
- Basil: You can use Italian seasoning as it contains basil as well.
- Provolone cheese: You can use American cheese or mozzarella cheese if you’d like.
- Pre-cooked meatballs: You can use frozen meatballs but it’s not what I recommend for this recipe and you will have to alter the instructions to accommodate the change. See more details in the sections below.
Refrigerator: Store leftover Texas toast casserole in a container in the refrigerator. If stored properly, it will be best eaten in three days.
Freezer: If you want your leftovers to last longer, store in an airtight container in the freezer and it can last up to a month.
Reheat: If you refrigerated your leftovers, you can place it in the microwave for approximately 1 minute and check the middle after to make sure it’s heated fully. In the oven, preheat to 325 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
What Is Texas Toast?
If you’re not familiar with Texas toast, it’s an ultra thick bread made with butter and garlic flavoring. When cooked, it tastes just like garlic bread. Paired with the tomato sauce, meatballs and basil in this Texas toast casserole recipe—you’ll capture all of the flavors of a classic Italian dish.
Can I Use Frozen Meatballs For This Recipe?
Using precooked meatballs for this simple recipe, as instructed, is ideal. However, if you don’t have another option, using frozen meatballs can work in a pinch. Cook or thaw the meatballs first as the bread and sauce in this dish will not do well with longer cooking times.
More Delicious Casserole Recipes
If you loved this Texas toast casserole recipe, here are a few more flavorful casserole recipes to try in the future!
Pin for later:
Meatball Texas Toast CasserolePrint
- 6 slices Texas Toast
- 22 ounce package meatballs (precooked)
- 2 cups pasta sauce (pick your favorite)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Bake Texas Toast in the oven as instructed on the package. Remove from the oven and and cut each slice of toast up into 4 pieces. Place the texas toast on the bottom of the baking dish, trying to completely cover it.
- Microwave meatballs as instructed on the package. Remove from the microwave and cut each meatball in half. Place meatballs on top of the texas toast in the baking dish.
- Pour pasta sauce on the meatballs. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Place 6 pieces of cheese on top so it covers the entire casserole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted and lightly browned. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Leave a Comment