With lots of greens to pick in the garden we are having a side dish of collard greens weekly at the dinner table. I love these collards so much I’ve been making a big batch to take to work to eat for lunch a few times a week.
And I love that these collard greens are super fresh, straight from our garden….
How to Make Collard Greens Vegetarian
So many Collard Greens recipes call for chicken broth or ham hocks, but in this recipe I’m using vegetable broth to make it a vegetarian dish. I’m adding a little bit of brown sugar into the vegetable broth to balance out the natural bitter flavor that collards give, but not making it too sweet.
These Collard Greens are so good, you won’t even miss the meat element of the recipe! The vegetable, brown sugar broth is the perfect liquid for these collards to simmer in.
Vegetarian Collard Greens Ingredients
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- minced garlic
- collard greens*
- vegetable broth (did you know you can make your own from broccoli leaves or carrot tops?)
- brown sugar
- salt and pepper
* Tip: If you don’t have a full pound of collard greens, don’t worry. If you have kale, add that in. Sometimes I’ll do 1 pound of collards, sometimes I’ll do 12 oz collards/4 oz kale, sometimes I’ll do 8 oz collards/8 oz kale, it all really depends on what we’re growing in the garden.
How to Cook Vegetarian Collard Greens
You’ll want to start by heating olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Next add red pepper flakes and garlic to give them some flavor. The collard greens are going to cook down a lot so don’t worry if the pot seems super full when you add them!
I hope you enjoy this Vegetarian Collard Greens recipe! Serve them as a side dish to just about anything, from fancy holiday dinners (always on our table for Thanksgiving!) to sloppy joe sandwiches.
Other Vegetarian Recipes You Might Like:
Pin for later:
Vegetarian Collard GreensPrint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound collard greens stem removed, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt + pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil and butter in large pot over medium high heat.
- Add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add collard greens to pot and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally with a spoon.
- Add vegetable broth and brown sugar, mixing so the sugar is combined.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover pot with lid and reduce heat to a low simmer for 45 minutes.
- Season with salt + pepper when serving.