Today we’re going to give a makeover to our favorite childhood sandwich, The Grilled Cheese.
As a kid I would beg my Mom to make Grilled Cheese sandwiches for lunch and dinner. When I wasn’t asking her to make them, I was ordering them at the diner served alongside a big spoonful of mashed potatoes. Did you ever have grilled cheese and mashed potatoes? It’s the perfect combo, especially if there’s a bunch of gravy poured over your potatoes.
One night we were craving something different for dinner but wanted to use up some fresh broccoli we picked that was growing under the greenhouse. After a quick broccoli roast, these sandwiches were made and enjoyed… very quickly! Immediately after finishing his Matthew said “I want another!”. Me too man, me too.
So next time you’re craving Grilled Cheese, add some broccoli inside for a delicious crunch and a giant burst of flavor!
Broccoli Grilled Cheese SandwichPrint
- 1 small head of broccoli chopped into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- butter to spread on bread
- 4 slices of bread
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix broccoli, olive oil, salt and pepper on cookie sheet until combined. Roast for 8 minutes, careful not to burn it. Remove from oven.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread. The buttered sides will be the outside of the sandwich.
- On the nonbuttered side of bread layer cheese, broccoli and more cheese. Top each with the other piece of bread, making it a sandwich.
- Add to skillet and grill until the cheese is melted and bread is toasted, turning sandwiches over once while grilling.
Leave a Comment