Easy, delicious Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwich ready in 15 minutes. It’s a classic sandwich but looks fancy with roasted cauliflower and jalapeno peppers.
Are you like me and LOVE grilled cheese? It’s such a classic meal that I loved in my childhood, and today I still crave it! I know it’s cliche, but tomato soup and grilled cheese is one of my favorite meals!
Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Recipe
Today we’re going to make one heck of a cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich by throwing cauliflower, jalapeno peppers and shredded cheddar cheese on it. It’s ooey gooey delicious!
How to Roast Cauliflower
This is a fancy adult version of a grilled cheese sandwich since we’re adding roasted vegetables on it. Don’t worry though, it still has all the classic taste of the grilled cheese you remember from your childhood.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Add cauliflower and jalapeno peppers (seeds removed unless you like it spicy) to a baking sheet and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then bake for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are roasted.
What’s the Best Cheese For Grilled Cheese?
Hands down, cheddar is the best cheese for this grilled cheese sandwich. Since it already has a bit of spice with the jalapeno pepper, we need a cheese that’s more mild, like a cheddar.
I recommend using shredded cheddar cheese for this sandwich as it melts nicely into the cauliflower, but you could also use slices or thinly cut a block of cheddar cheese up too. I find that if you’re using block cheese it might take a couple more minutes to melt.
What’s the Best Bread for Grilled Cheese?
I find that this differs per person, and honestly I’m down for any bread for a grilled cheese, but in my opinion a hearty bread, like a whole wheat or sourdough makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches.
For classic sakes, my Mom used to make grilled cheese on white bread, so I’m not saying you can’t do that, because my Mom made one heck of a delicious grilled sandwich, but if you’re looking for something more hearty, especially to hold all these vegetables, look for a good thick sliced wheat bread.
What to serve with grilled cheese sandwich?
In my opinion there’s only 4 options to serve with a grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Tomato Soup – this is classic, here’s my favorite tomato soup recipe.
- Pickles – serve on the side, or if you’re a pregnant woman like me you add them to the sandwich too!
- Chips – Plain, Sour Cream, BBQ, pick your favorite
- Mashed Potatoes – This might be new to you, but this is always how I ate it as a kid.
I hope you like this creative grilled cheese recipe! You can also check out my Broccoli Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Pin this Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwich for later:
Cauliflower Grilled Cheese SandwichPrint
- 1 small head of cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeds removed, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- butter to spread on bread
- 4 slices bread
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix cauliflower, jalapeno peppers, olive oil, salt and pepper on baking sheet until cauliflower and peppers are fully coated. Bake for 8 minutes, careful not to burn it. Remove from oven.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Put 2 pieces of bread on skillet, butter side down.
- On top of the slices of bread in skillet layer cheese, cauliflower, jalapeno peppers and more cheese. Be sure to evenly distribute the cheese. Top each with the other piece of bread, making it a sandwich.
- Once bottom side of sandwich is browned, carefully flip to the other side with a spatula. I find it helpful to use 2 spatulas to keep the sandwiches together. Now brown the other side and cook until cheese is fully melted. This takes about 7-8 minutes per sandwich.