Homemade Sloppy Joes recipe that tastes better than Manwich and is ready in 35 minutes! Make a simple sauce with ketchup, brown sugar and cocoa powder! I stopped buying canned sloppy joe sauce and only make my own now!
Tastes Like Manwich But Even Better!
We’re a sloppy joe loving family. Is there anything more comforting than sloppy joes on a toasted bun, next to some crispy french fries? It’s the best.
We used to buy cans of Manwich all the time but immediately stopped after I started making this recipe. This sloppy joe sauce is better than Manwich, and once you take a taste you’ll agree too!
My entire family loves this classic homemade recipe and they love when I tell them it’s going to be sloppy joes for dinner!
How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joes
Watch the video below where I’ll walk you through all the steps of how to make homemade sloppy joes! Sometimes it helps to visually see someone make the recipe before making it!
Note: I prefer using ground turkey in my sloppy joes as I find it tastes better (and is a little more healthy), but if you want to use ground beef, you 100% can.
Secret Ingredient Tips for the BEST Sloppy Joes
You might be surprised by the ingredients that make the sauciest, most tasty sloppy joe sandwiches!
Ketchup. The sauce is made with ketchup. That gives it that tangy taste you grew up and love.
Cocoa Powder. Want to know what makes that rich flavor of a sloppy joe sauce? It’s cocoa powder!
Shredded Cheese What makes it all come together in the end? Shredded cheddar cheese! This helps it from being too crumbly.
Ideas for Sloppy Joe Meat
- Throw on a bun. This is the most popular way to eat sloppy joe meat. Throw it on a toasted hamburger bun and eat away! Serve with french fries or potato chips.
- Fries. Pour this meat on top of french fries, add a little shredded cheese on top, now add slices of tomatoes and peppers. They taste just like loaded fries!
Can I make Sloppy Joes in a Crockpot?
Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours. Serve on buns as usual.
The texture will be a little more soft than cooking on the stove, but still really delicious!
Pin for later:
Homemade Sloppy JoesPrint
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper diced
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted add onion and green pepper, stirring until onion and peppers start to lightly brown.
- Add ground turkey and 1/2 cup water into the skillet. Stir, breaking up the meat until the ground turkey is browned, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and cocoa powder and mix to combine. Add 1/4 cup water and cook on low, medium heat for 20 minutes until water has been reduced.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and stir, so cheese completely melts, about 2 minutes.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.