Easy Cheeseburger Soup recipe, made with ground beef, potatoes, vegetables and cheese, ready in 30 minutes. This is a hearty dinner adults and kids both will enjoy!
Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
This Easy Cheeseburger Soup Recipe has quickly become one of my all-time favorite meals. It is simple, uses ingredients I often already have on hand, is incredibly easy, and tastes AMAZING! Combining all the flavors of a juicy cheeseburger into a warm bowl of soup—this is one of our best recipes!
For toppings, you can add some crispy bacon, crunchy croutons, dill pickles, chopped tomatoes, or salty potato chips on top when serving! I’m a pickle lover, so I add a bunch of pickles on top, especially sliced Half Sour Pickles!
When you’re craving a comforting soup recipe, you can’t go wrong with cheeseburger soup. The whole family will love it!
Why You’ll Love Cheeseburger Soup
I love serving cheeseburger soup because it’s something different and fun. It’s a great way to enjoy the flavors of a cheeseburger during the colder months of the year. Oftentimes, cheeseburgers are associated with a summertime BBQ. But this recipe transforms it into something you can cozy up with when it’s freezing outside. It’s truly the ultimate cheesy comfort food. And I mean, who doesn’t love that?
What’s In The Best Cheeseburger Soup?
- Ground beef
- Onion – diced
- Green pepper – diced
- Carrots – diced
- Celery – diced
- Potatoes – diced
- Parsley – (tip: here’s how to dry parsley!)
- Beef broth – you can sub chicken or veggie broth if you prefer
- Cheese (you can’t have cheeseburger soup without cheese!)
- Sour cream
How Do You Make Cheeseburger Soup?
This recipe starts with the ground beef, pepper, onion, carrots, and celery, which get sautéd in a large pot with a tablespoon of butter.
Cook this mixture until the ground beef is browned and veggies are soft; about 10 minutes.
Now, add broth, russet potatoes, and parsley to the pot. Make sure to chop your potatoes evenly. You want to avoid some pieces coming out undercooked. This potato mixture simmers for about 12 minutes and until potatoes are tender.
While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and mix until combined. Add milk and cheese, and continue to stir until cheese is completely melted. This will be your creamy base.
The last step is to make the soup rich and creamy with the addition of the milk & cheese mixture and the sour cream. Creaminess is key when it comes to cheeseburger soup. The creamier, the better!
And there you have it, your big pot of soup, delicious! Finish off the soup with any favorite burger toppings such as bacon, tomatoes, and pickles. If you feel like it, top with extra cheese!
Cheeseburger Soup Tips:
- I recommend a lean ground beef to cut down on the greasiness of the soup.
- You can also swap out the ground beef for ground chicken, turkey or Sweet Italian Sausage.
- I really like classic cheddar cheese or Velveeta in this recipe, but you could also experiment with your favorite cheese varieties. Colby, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack or even Swiss could be delicious
- If your soup is thin, you can add a little bit of extra sour cream or cream cheese to thicken it up. Add this at the end and stir to thicken.
- If you prefer, you can choose to make this creamy soup in your slow cooker or instant pot. That way you can toss your ingredients in and leave them to simmer while you go about your day. So simple!
How to Store Cheeseburger Soup
To store leftovers and keep them fresh to enjoy for up to a few days, wait for the soup to cool and place it in an airtight container! Keep in the fridge to enjoy lunch the next day! This is a great recipe for meal prep, take it to work, or enjoy it all week long for dinner!
This hearty soup has become a family favorite. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
More Creamy Soup Recipes You’ll Like:
Pin for later:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 small green pepper diced
- ¾ cup diced onion diced
- ¾ cup carrots diced
- ¾ cup diced celery diced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups cubed potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large soup pot melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. Add ground beef, pepper, onion, carrots and celery. Cook until ground beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes and parsley into pot. Bring broth to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook 12 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and fork tender.
- In a small saucepan melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and mix until combined. Add milk and cheese, and continue to stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Add cheese mixture and sour cream into soup pot. Stir soup and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve in bowls and top with any favorite burger toppings.