Cheeseburger Soup is a comforting blend of ground beef, potatoes, vegetables and cheese, that’s easy to make in 30 minutes. A hearty dinner option that’s popular with both kids and adults alike!
This Easy Cheeseburger Soup Recipe has quickly become one of my all time favorite meals – it is simple, uses ingredients I often already have on hand, is incredibly easy, and tastes AMAZING!
What’s In Cheeseburger Soup?
- Ground beef (from my Butcher Box!)
- Green pepper
- Beef broth
- Sour cream
This smooth, creamy, and totally cheesy soup is definitely a keeper! Feel free to add some crispy, crumbled bacon, crunchy croutons, and a bit of fresh chives or dill pickles for an irresistible meal. I love adding pickles on top, especially sliced Half Sour Pickles!
How Do You Make Cheeseburger Soup?
This recipe starts with the ground beef, pepper, onion, carrots and celery, which gets sautéd in a large pot with a tablespoon of butter.
Cook this mixture until the ground ground beef is browned and veggies are soft; about 10 minutes.
Now the broth, potatoes and parsley are added into the pot. This potato mixture simmers for about 12 minutes and until potatoes are tender.
While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan melt remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and mix until combined. Add milk and cheese, and continue to stir until cheese is completely melted.
The last step is to make the soup rich and creamy with the addition of the milk & cheese mixture and the sour cream.
Delicious! Finish off the soup with any favorite burger toppings such as bacon, tomatoes and pickles.
Cheeseburger Soup Tips:
- You can cook the beef in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for a couple of days (or in the freezer for up to 3 months) until you’re ready to make the soup. It cuts out an extra step and makes the prep time even faster!
- Another way to cut prep time down is to purchase chopped celery and onion, from the produce department or salad bar at the grocery store.
- I really like a classic cheddar cheese in this recipe, but you could also experiment with your favorite cheese varieties. Try Colby, Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack.
- You can also swap out the ground beef for ground chicken or turkey, if you prefer.
- To make this soup more fun for your family (especially younger ones), have a few different bowls filled with toppings. We love pickles, bacon, croutons, chives, etc. This way everyone can add on what they want, just like a burger!
Other Easy One Pot Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Pin for later:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 small green pepper diced
- ¾ cup diced onion diced
- ¾ cup carrots diced
- ¾ cup diced celery diced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups cubed potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large soup pot melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. Add ground beef, pepper, onion, carrots and celery. Cook until ground beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
Add broth, potatoes and parsley into pot. Bring broth to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook 12 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and fork tender.
In a small saucepan melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and mix until combined. Add milk and cheese, and continue to stir until cheese is completely melted.
Add cheese mixture and sour cream into soup pot. Stir soup and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve in bowls and top with any favorite burger toppings (pickles, crumbled bacon, crunchy croutons, fresh chives).