Homemade Salisbury Steak recipe with a tangy ketchup mushroom gravy. This easy classic meal is baked in the oven for 1 hour and is amazingly delicious!
Baked Salisbury Steak Recipe
Looking to make homemade Salisbury steak? Look no further, this is the recipe you should try! The Salisbury steak is baked in the oven to make moist ground beef patties. On top is a tangy gravy sauce. And even better, there’s plenty of gravy to go around so you can add more on top when serving, or add some to your mashed potatoes (must have side dish for Salisbury steak!).
How to Make Homemade Salisbury Steak
Make Salisbury steak patties by mixing 1/3 can of the cream of mushroom soup, ground beef, bread crumbs, egg and pepper together in a mixing bowl. I like to use my hands to mix this up, just like my Mama did. Shape into 6 patty shapes.
Let’s make that tangy ketchup gravy! Mix together the remaining cream of mushroom soup, flour, ketchup, broth, Worcestershire sauce and mustard power.
Pour the gravy on top of the patties in baking dish. It might seem like alot of gravy, but it’s the perfect amount once served.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!
- You can swap the cream of mushroom soup for condensed french onion soup instead.
- Love onions? Add a finely chopped small yellow mushroom into the ground beef mixture.
- Don’t have beef broth? You can use water instead.
- Want to add mushrooms? Add sliced mushrooms to the gravy mixture.
Can I make this Salisbury Steak in the Skillet?
If you want to make this more quickly you can definitely make it all in the skillet on top of the stove and skip the step of baking it in the oven.
The recipe is very similar, except instead of transferring the patties after you brown them to a baking dish, keep them in the skillet. Pour the gravy on top, cover the skillet and cook for 30 minutes, or until fully cooked.
What to serve with Salisbury Steak?
Some of my favorite side dishes for Salisbury Steak are Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Amish Potato Stuffing, Baked Sugar Snap Peas, Sautéed Kale and Potatoes, Roasted Broccoli, Cheesy Green Beans, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Fluffy Dinner Rolls.
More Beef Recipes
Pin for later:
Homemade Salisbury SteakPrint
- 1 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix 1/3 can of cream of mushroom soup, ground beef, bread crumbs, egg and pepper. You can mix with a spoon or I prefer my hands. Shape into 6 Salisbury steak patty shapes.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat and add steaks, browning them on both sides. Note: You are not completely cooking the ground beef, but only browning on both sides. Add steaks into 9×9 baking dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together remaining cream of mushroom soup and flour, mixing until the soup is no longer clumpy. Add ketchup, broth, Worcestershire sauce and mustard power, and continue mixing. Pour this mixture on top of the steak patties.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, or until the internal temperature reads 160 °F. Remove from oven and serve.