This easy recipe for Simple Potato Kale Salad is one of my favorite healthy meals or side dishes. The ingredients are straightforward: potatoes, kale, and olive oil – that’s it! Paleo, Whole30-compliant, and vegan friendly.
You know a recipe is worth sharing when you’ve made it so many times that you can cook it up just as easily as if you were brewing a cup of tea or pouring a glass of water.
Say hello to this warm Potato Kale Salad. It’s a basic dish that comes together so fast. And it’s a recipe that has definitely taught me to respect kale, love kale, and most certainly, eat more kale. I’m in love with this simple meal and I can’t believe it, but I actually request kale for dinner now.
This simple 5 ingredient dish has totally changed my feelings toward kale. Also, I should give credit where it’s due. Matthew is the chef behind this Potato Kale Salad. After continuously asking, he’s finally written out the recipe for me to share.
We have 12 heads of kale growing in the garden right now. They are hearty plants so they last us through the entire year, from Summer to Winter. I love that I can stop by the garden, pick some kale and then head home to make this yummy meal!
How to make this Simple Potato Kale Salad
Start at the stove: Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
Prep Veggies: Peel and cube the potatoes into bite size pieces. Remove stems from the kale and rip it into pieces. Rinse the kale and shake it dry.
Cook Potatoes and Kale: Add potatoes and kale to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. While occasionally stirring so the potatoes don’t stick to the skillet, cook until potatoes are browned on both sides, about 10-15 minutes. The kale during this time will wilt down. Once a fork can easily slide through the potatoes, the dish is done.
Enjoy! Serve hot.
Why this Potato Kale Salad is so good
- The ingredients are simple. Potatoes, kale, olive oil, salt & pepper. That’s it.
- This warm salad works great as a side dish or throw it next to a small serving of pasta and call it dinner (that’s what we do).
- Not only is this potato kale meal delicious and easy, but it makes you feel like an all-star afterwards because you just ate a healthy meal and you loved it!
- This salad is for everyone! It’s paleo, Whole30-compliant, and vegan friendly.
- Simply put, it’s the best warm, simple potato kale salad out there.
Possible Potato Kale Salad Variations
Make this salad your own by using your favorite ingredients or what you happen to have on-hand!
- Protein: For a more filling meal, you can add chicken, shrimp, or any other protein to the salad. Oh and bacon would be so good too! To keep it vegetarian, serve over a bed of noodles or lentils.
- Potatoes:I like using Idaho potatoes, but you can certainly change things up with sweet potatoes or red potatoes.
- Seasoning: This salad is truly delicious with just the salt & pepper, but feel free to experiment with different flavors and add any favorite seasoning. Basil, oregano, or thyme would be great choices. You can even add fresh herbs like rosemary, parsley or sage.
- Other ingredients:If you have other ingredients that need to be used, feel free to add them in. Chopped onion, bell pepper, carrots, or really any veggie would mix in really well.
If you are looking for kale recipes, try these:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Pin for later:
Simple Potato Kale SaladPrint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 medium size Idaho potatoes peeled and cubed
- 6 cups loose kale stems removed, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add olive oil to large skillet over medium high heat.
- Once oil is heated up, add potatoes and kale. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste, continue to stir.
- While occasionally stirring so the potatoes don't stick to the skillet, cook until potatoes are browned on both sides, about 10-15 minutes. The kale during this time will wilt down. Once a fork can easily slide through the potatoes, the dish is done.
- Serve warm, enjoy!