HEALTHY Ground Turkey Kale Meatball Sub! These meatballs are fried on the stove and then covered with tomato sauce and American cheese on a sub roll! This homemade recipe is easy, healthy and your family will love it! Even my Midwest husband thinks this is the BEST meatball sandwich!
Who doesn’t like a good meatball sub? It’s quick, it’s hearty, it’s sloppy, you get to eat it with your fingers. It’s meat, cheese and tomato sauce – how can you go wrong? But with this one we’re going to mix it up a little bit and add some kale to get your greens in! Don’t be alarmed by the combination of kale and meat together in this sub – once everything is mixed together, it just works. My husband is a Midwest boy who loves his hearty dinners and this sub is A+ in his book!
This meatball sub is based on my kale meatballs recipe which I first made last summer and fell in love with. These turkey meatballs are great over spaghetti, yummy grilled as a finger food on a stick, but they are delicious on a sub roll! This kale turkey sandwich is one of our dinner favorites!
A meatball sub isn’t finished until it’s slathered in tomato sauce and then American cheese is melted on top – then it’s ready to eat!
Enjoy one of my all time favorite sandwiches, Turkey Kale Meatball Sub!
Pin for later:
Healthy Turkey Kale Meatball SubPrint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked chopped fresh kale
- Pinch of dried rosemary parsley, oregano, thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg
- Sub Rolls
- American cheese slices
- Tomato Sauce
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a pan over medium high heat. Add kale and spices. Cook until your kale is wilted.
- Put kale mixture and garlic into a food processor to mince. Add your turkey and egg and pulse until it’s all combined.
- Form this mixture into 2 inch balls.
- Use your same pan (its already greased) and heat to medium high.
- Add your meatballs and cook until browned on all sides (make sure to flip them), about 10-15 minutes.
For the sub
- Cut your sub rolls down the middle.
- Add meatballs on sub roll to fit.
- Add 2 slices of American cheese slices on top of the meatballs. Melt cheese in microwave or toaster oven if needed.
- Spoon tomato sauce on top.