10 minute creamed peas recipe made with butter, milk and chicken broth. You can serve as a side dish, or our favorite way – on top or mashed potatoes and toast for dinner!
Creamed Peas Recipe
These peas are so creamy and delicious! They are made in a simple cream sauce and ready to be served on the dinner table in 10 minutes! If you’re looking for a creamy side dish to go along with your other favorites – Fresh Green Bean and Potato Casserole, Cheesy Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Cauliflower Casserole – then you need to try these!
Sometimes for dinner we like to take these Creamed Peas and make a complete dinner out of them by serving them on top of toast and mashed potatoes – it’s pure comfort food! I sure hope you try them this way too!
Frozen, Canned or Fresh Peas?
If you’re trying to save time, use frozen or canned peas (drained) for this recipe! If you have a couple extra minutes and are growing peas in your garden, use fresh sweet peas – they will just take a little bit longer to boil to soften up.
How to Make
Boil peas with chicken broth and salt, boiling them until softened. Add butter and stir.
Stir together milk, flour, sugar, cumin and pepper. The dash of cumin is important in this recipe to balance out the sweetness of the peas – try not to skip it!
Add the cream mixture to the saucepan with peas and simmer until the sauce thickens.
Serve and enjoy these yummy creamed peas!
How to Serve
- Serve over toasted bread and mashed potatoes or no peel yukon gold mashed potatoes for more of a chunky taste.
- Brown ground beef or sausage, add them to the creamy peas and then serve over toast or over buttered cabbage.
- Cook your favorite pasta and add the creamed peas in, letting it coat the noodles in the cream sauce!
- Bake some potatoes and make Creamed Potatoes and Peas!
How to Store
Refrigerator: Leftover creamed peas can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat them in the microwave or a saucepan on the stove.
Freezing: To freeze them, allow them to cool down and then freeze in a freezer safe bag. They will stay good in the freezer for around 4 months. Defrost in the microwave and then warm up. To freshen them up, add a splash of milk.
Pin for later:
Creamed Peas (on Mashed Potatoes and Toast)Print
- 2 cups frozen peas (you can also use canned or fresh peas)
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash cumin
- Dash pepper
- Add peas, chicken broth and salt into a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Add in butter, stirring until melted.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk, flour, sugar, cumin and pepper. Add milk mixture into the saucepan, stirring until cream sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish, or my favorite – on top of mashed potatoes and toast. Enjoy!