These baked cheesy green beans are flavorful, easy and make the perfect vegetarian side dish. Made with fresh green beans, cabbage and cheese, this dish is sure to be a hit with the whole family! A delicious way to get some veggies into your family’s diet!
With pounds of green beans and cabbage to be picked in the garden, I have been trying to come up with new ways to eat our veggies. For dinner one night I was craving macaroni and cheese, but I also really wanted to use our green beans and cabbage. So, this unique cheesy green bean casserole meal was created. It’s like macaroni and cheese, but without the pasta!
I absolutely LOVE a cheesy side dish and this one hit the spot! Rich and so tasty, made with the season’s finest green beans, this colorful green bean side will definitely impress your guests this holiday season (or anytime). Easy to make and delicious to eat! This is a great way to serve up your veggies!
This recipe uses 1 1/2 cups of fresh green beans, one head of cabbage and cheddar cheese. It’s a great side dish or a main entree that is comforting, but doesn’t make you feel too guilty because it’s packed with loads of veggies! 🙂
How To Make Cheesy Green Beans – Step By Step
- Heat the oven to 400ºF and prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a medium-sized pot to a boil. Add fresh green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add cabbage, thyme and salt + pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt, while stirring it often.
- The dish is really easy to put together. First add half the green beans to the casserole dish, second add half the cabbage, third add one cup of the cheese. Then repeat.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and cook for 10 more minutes. Out of the oven 40 minutes later comes this cheesy comforting meal!
A Baked Green Bean Recipe To Feed A Crowd
This recipe makes enough for six healthy side dish portions, and if you have more guests then it’s easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled! At holiday gathers, it seems that everyone is more interested in the side dishes than the main course, and this deliciousness will for sure be a crowd pleaser! Serve this side dish alongside your main course and with other sides such as cheesy scalloped potatoes, Amish potato stuffing and flaky biscuits!
Is Cheesy Green Bean Casserole Healthy
Both green beans and cabbage are great veggies to feed your family and have a ton of health benefits. Yes, there is cheese in this dish, but if it helps the kids eat their greens, I’m not going to complain! Green beans are super high in fiber and they are a great source of vitamins A, C, K, B6 and folic acid, as well as calcium and iron. Cabbage is also packed with vitamins and minerals. It’s rich in B6, vitamin C and has a good amount of fiber. Both veggies are low in calories, but very satisfying. Oh, and did I say they were delicious too?!
Tips For Making This Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- Use the freshest green beans and cabbage you can get your hands on, for the most wonderful side dish.
- I used cheddar cheese, but feel free to use any favorite cheese variety that you have on hand. Also, if you want to lighten up this dish, you can even use a little less cheese.
- Serve straight out of the oven for best results.
I love that this delicious cheesy green bean side comes together so quickly and easily! This one is best served straight out of the oven, so make these just before you are ready to serve. It sure would make a great new casserole dish for the holidays (like Thanksgiving and Christmas), as well as an everyday dinner when you have lots of green beans and cabbage. We are big fans of this dish in our house and I hope you will become one too!
Be Sure To Check Out These Other Delicious Side Dishes:
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Pin for later:
Cheesy Green Beans
These baked cheesy green beans are flavorful, easy and make the perfect vegetarian side dish. Made with fresh green beans, cabbage and cheese, this dish is sure to be a hit with the whole family! A delicious way to get some veggies into your family's diet!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans cut into thirds
- 1 small head of cabbage chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt + pepper
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a medium sized pot to a boil. Add fresh green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add cabbage, thyme and salt + pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt, while stirring it semi often.
- In casserole baking dish, add half of your green beans. Add half of your buttery cabbage on top. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top. Repeat again.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and cook for 10 more minutes.