These baked cheesy green beans are delicious and easy to make. Made with fresh green beans, cabbage and cheese, this creamy dish is sure to be a hit with the whole family! Perfect for a chicken side dish, or on the holiday table.
With pounds of green beans and cabbage to be picked in the garden, I have been trying to come up with new ways to eat our veggies. This recipe is half green bean casserole, half macaroni and cheese (without the pasta), 100% delicious!
I absolutely LOVE a cheesy side dish and this one hit the spot! This recipe uses 1 1/2 cups of fresh green beans, one head of cabbage and cheddar cheese. It’s a great side dish or a main entree that is comforting, but doesn’t make you feel too guilty because it’s packed with loads of veggies! 🙂
How To Make Cheesy Green Beans
- Heat the oven to 400ºF and prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a medium-sized pot to a boil. Add fresh green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add cabbage, thyme and salt + pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt, while stirring it often.
- The dish is really easy to put together. First add half the green beans to the casserole dish, second add half the cabbage, third add one cup of the cheese. Then repeat.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and cook for 10 more minutes. Out of the oven 40 minutes later comes this cheesy comforting meal!
- Use the freshest green beans and cabbage you can get your hands on.
- I used cheddar cheese, but feel free to use any favorite cheese variety that you have on hand. Also, if you want to lighten up this dish, you can even use a little less cheese.
- When done baking, allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. The cheese is sometimes sizzling hot!
Can I double this recipe for the holidays?
This recipe makes enough for six healthy side dish portions, and if you have more guests then it’s easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled! At holiday gatherings, it seems that everyone is more interested in the side dishes than the main course, and this deliciousness will for sure be a crowd pleaser!
Pin for later:
Cheesy Green BeansPrint
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans cut into thirds
- 1 small head of cabbage chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt + pepper
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a medium sized pot to a boil. Add fresh green beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add cabbage, thyme and salt + pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt, while stirring it semi often.
- In casserole baking dish, add half of your green beans. Add half of your buttery cabbage on top. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top. Repeat again.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.