Cheesy Green Beans and Cabbage Casserole is an easy recipe that can be served as a main or side dish. Fresh green beans and cabbage are baked with shredded cheese on top!
Cheesy Green Beans and Cabbage Recipe
One of the greatest joys the garden gives me is that it makes me explore new recipes in the kitchen! We are picking pounds of green beans and cabbage every day, so instead of making separate meals I wanted to combine them into one.
This Cheesy Green Bean and Cabbage Casserole tastes like half traditional green bean casserole, half macaroni and cheese (but without the pasta), and 100% delicious!
Here’s a recipe video I made to show you how easy this casserole is to make!
What goes good with green beans?
This dish can be served as a meatless main dish or a side dish. For an easy main dish meal, I like serving this with some crusty Italian Bread.
How To Make The Best Cheesy Green Beans
Heat the oven to 400ºF and prepare a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Bring a medium-sized pot to a boil. Add fresh green beans and cook for 4 minutes. Drain.
Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add cabbage, thyme and salt & pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt, while stirring it often.
Now time to layer it all in the baking dish. First add half of the green beans, and then half of the buttery cabbage.
Now sprinkle one cup of shredded cheese on top.
Now repeat those layers one more time.
Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and cook for 10 more minutes. Then out of the oven will come this cheesy green bean casserole!
Green Bean Casserole Variations
- I use shredded cheddar cheese, but feel free to use any favorite cheese variety that you have on hand. If you want to give the casserole a kick you can use shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Want to lighten it up? Use half the amount of cheese.
- If you want it crispy on top add some breadcrumbs.
- You could even add meat to this casserole, such as bacon bits or slices of sausage.
Can I double this recipe?
This recipe makes 6-8 side dish servings. If you are making this for a holiday dinner and will have more guests you can easily double or triple this recipe.
What can I make with green beans?
Need more recipe ideas? Here’s some of my favorite green bean recipes:
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Green Beans
- Green Bean and Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Green Beans
- Chinese Green Beans With Ham
- Scrambled Egg Ground Beef Casserole
- The 30 Best Green Bean Recipes
Pin for later:
Cheesy Green Beans and CabbagePrint
- 2 cups fresh green beans cut into thirds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small head of cabbage core removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Add fresh green beans and cook for 4 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add cabbage, thyme and salt + pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt, while stirring it often.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, add half of your green beans on the bottom. Next half or your buttery cabbage on top of the beans. Finally, sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top. Repeat again.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.