This creamy, cheesy, savory carrot casserole is extra easy to prepare! It combines four simple ingredients: sliced carrot rounds, a can of cream of mushroom soup, shredded cheddar cheese and store-bought herbed stuffing mix. Bake until brown-edged and bubbling, and serve as a tasty side dish. It’s fancy enough for your holiday table and simple enough for dinner tonight.
Carrot Casserole Recipe
One of my favorite ways to use our garden carrots is in this cheesy carrot casserole recipe. All you need is 5 ingredients and about 25 minutes and it’s ready to be served.
This carrot casserole with stuffing is one of our favorite go-to side dishes (or sometimes a main dish served with crusty bread!)! And it’s always on our Thanksgiving dinner menu!
Cheesy carrot casserole ingredients
Here’s the ingredients you need to make this carrot casserole with stuffing, you might already have everything in your kitchen!
- 6 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans of cream of mushroom soup – you can also use cream of chicken soup if you’d like
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese – or other favorite shredded cheese
- 1 whole bag of herbed stuffing mix (10-12 ounce bag)
- ½ cup melted butter
How to Make Carrot Casserole
Wash the carrots, and cut the green tops off. What to do with the green tops? Make vegetable broth with carrot green tops!
Peel the carrots and slice into 1/2 inch thick coins.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until a fork can slide through. Make sure not to overcook the carrots as you don’t want them to be mushy! Drain and add carrots back into the pot.
Add the cream of mushroom soup and cheddar cheese to the pot with the cooked carrots. Stir well to completely coat the carrots with the soup and cheese.
Add the carrot mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
Using the same pot you cooked the carrots in, add the stuffing mix and melted butter. Stir well until stuffing is coated in melted butter.
Time for the finishing touch! Sprinkle the buttery stuffing mix over the top of the carrot mixture.
Bake the casserole dish for about 25 minutes or until it is golden and bubbly.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips For Carrot Casserole:
- Cut the carrots into uniformly-sized pieces, so that they cook at the same rate.
- You can cut and peel your carrots up to 3 days before you plan to make this recipe.
- You could make this recipe even more fancy for the holidays by using some rainbow colored carrots in shades of purple, yellow, red and white. You can find rainbow carrots in most grocery stores these days or try growing your own.
- You can cut the recipe in half and bake in an 8×8 dish. If doing this, still use the whole can of cream of mushroom soup.
Pin for later:
Savory Carrot Casserole with Cheddar CheesePrint
- 6 cups carrots peeled, sliced into 1/2 inch coins
- (2) 10 oz cans cream of mushroom soup*
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- (1) 12 oz bag herbed stuffing mix
- ½ cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Add carrots and cook for about 7 minutes, or until a fork slides through carrots. Make sure not to overcook. Drain and add carrots back into pot.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and cheddar cheese to the pot. Mix with a spoon so the carrots are completely covered with soup and cheese.
- Add carrot mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Using the same pot you cooked carrots in, add stuffing mix and melted butter. Stir until stuffing is coated.
- Sprinkle stuffing mix on top of the carrot mixture in baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly and stuffing is lightly browned on top. Serve and enjoy!