This comforting Green Bean Broccoli Casserole (With Frozen Vegetables) comes together quickly with the help of frozen vegetables, canned mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, and crunchy Ritz crackers. It’s a delicious and creamy side dish you can enjoy for the holidays or weeknight dinners.
Vegetarian broccoli green bean casserole
I absolutely love making green bean casseroles for the holidays. This classic recipe is so creamy and comforting, and I love the crunch from the crispy crackers on top. But what I love even more is adding fun and nutritious twists to the traditional recipe!
I love using broccoli in Chinese Chicken and I’ve even made a broth out of broccoli leaves so adding frozen broccoli into this Green Bean Broccoli Casserole was no surprise. This extra twist gives this easy casserole much more nutrition and a great texture. The best part? Both the green beans and broccoli are frozen!
Think of frozen vegetables as a secret weapon. Instead of washing, peeling, and chopping fresh veggies (that may go bad any day now), frozen vegetables are inexpensive and just as nutrient-dense. They make this recipe not only easier but also budget-friendly.
How to make broccoli green bean casserole
Grab your frozen veggies and place them in a baking dish.
In a separate bowl, mix the mushroom soup, milk, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper together.
Pour it over the frozen veggies and stir.
Sprinkle the crumbled Ritz crackers all over the top of the casserole.
Next, add the butter knobs on top of the crackers and then bake!
The casserole is ready to eat when the veggies are thawed and it’s hot in the middle.
Can I make this casserole in a crockpot?
Yes! The broccoli casserole can easily be made in your crockpot or slow cooker. Just follow these easy steps:
- Add all of the casserole ingredients (except for the crackers and butter) to the crockpot and stir together.
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until the frozen vegetables are thawed and warm.
- Top the casserole with the crumbled crackers and butter, cover with a lid, and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the butter is melted and the crackers are warm.
Can I make this in advance?
Absolutely! It’s as if casseroles were invented to be made ahead of time. To do so, combine all of the ingredients (except for the crackers and butter) in the baking dish, cover it well, and store it in the fridge for 2 or 3 days.
Give the mixture a good stir before adding the crackers and butter on top and baking the casserole in the oven.
- Want to add a little protein? Make this dish an all-in-one meal by mixing in some leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or beef.
- To give the casserole a kick, spice it up by stirring in some cayenne pepper or red chili flakes.
- For fresher flavors, make this recipe using homemade cream of mushroom soup or keto mushroom soup.
- Instead of using Ritz crackers, use crispy fried onions for an added crunch or you can even use caramelized onions.
Want to add even more frozen vegetables? Sliced bell peppers, onions, cauliflower, or carrots would all be delicious.
What can I serve with cheddar broccoli casserole?
Because it’s so easy to make ahead of time, you can pop the casserole in the fridge while you focus on preparing more veggie-packed side dishes to feed family and friends, like my Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Lentil Kale Soup, and Fried Cabbage with Sausage.
The leftovers (or a fresh batch) make for a quick and easy side dish or a veggie-full dinner you can simply reheat on busy weeknights. It’s creamy and delicious next to my Pot Roast, or Cheesy Meatloaf.
More vegetable casseroles you might like
Pin for later:
Green Bean Broccoli Casserole (With Frozen Vegetables)Print
- 10 oz bag frozen green beans
- 10 oz bag frozen broccolli
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ritz crackers crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place frozen green beans and broccoli in a 8×8 casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix cream of mushroom soup, milk, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture on top of frozen vegetables in casserole dish, mixing them to coat and combine.
- Sprinkle crumbled crackers on top of casserole. Add 2 tablespoons butter (cut into small cubes) on top of crackers.
- Bake for 50 minutes uncovered. Serve and enjoy!