This homemade Chinese Chicken and Broccoli recipe is healthy, easy to make in 30 minutes and tastes just like Chinese takeout!
Craving Chinese takeout? Try this homemade Chinese Chicken and Broccoli recipe you can whip up in 30 minutes or less! Your family will love this tender chicken and broccoli covered in a savory sauce! And you’ll love how easy it is to make!
Whenever my family is craving Chinese, but we don’t want to make the trip to one of our local Chinese restaurants (or spend money!), I serve up this delicious recipe. It satisfies their craving for Chinese food and only takes me 30 minutes to make!
Why You’ll Love Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
The first time I tried this recipe, I was blown away! There are so many reasons to love Chinese Chicken and Broccoli! For one, it’s delicious! And it’s the perfect way to turn Chinese takeout into a healthy home-cooked meal you can enjoy on repeat! Packed with simple ingredients, protein, and healthy veggies, you can feel good serving your kids this tasty meal. The whole family is sure to love it! I know mine does!
It’s one of those meals that will take you right out of your boring dinner slump! Next time you’re trying to figure out what to serve for dinner, try this homemade version of a popular Chinese takeout dish—you’ll love it!
How to Make Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
The cooking process for this recipe is so simple! I love tossing this healthy recipe together on those nights I don’t feel like being in the kitchen for too long.
To make this Chinese Chicken and Broccoli, you’ll need:
Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Ingredients
- Fresh Broccoli
- Green pepper
- Sugar snap peas strings
For the Chicken Marinade
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast, cut up into bite-size pieces
- Baking soda
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Vegetable oil
For the sauce
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Minced garlic
- Brown sugar
- Rice cooking wine
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame oil
- Vegetable oil to fry in
- Water or chicken broth
Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Instructions
In a large bowl, mix the marinade ingredients. Add the bite-size chicken pieces into a bowl and stir to coat. Set aside.
Tip: You can use chicken thighs or chicken breasts, but I think chicken thighs tastes much more like traditional Chinese takeout!
In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
Heat up vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, its marinade, and 1/2 of the sauce mixture. Keep cooking until chicken is fully cooked.
Add broccoli, green pepper, sugar snap peas, remaining sauce, and water. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens and the broccoli is tender.
Serve alongside white rice or lo mein, enjoy!
Is Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Healthy?
Chinese Chicken and Broccoli is similar to the traditional Beef and Broccoli recipe. The chicken version offers a leaner option that is just as high in protein as beef. You can make this recipe even healthier by opting for low sodium soy sauce instead of regular. Chinese Chicken and Broccoli is packed with protein and veggies, making it a great healthy option for dinner or even lunch if you prefer.
If you want to make this popular Chinese takeout dish more low-carb, you can serve it without the rice and opt for more chicken and less broccoli.
What Is Chinese Chicken Sauce Made Of?
This Chinese Chicken sauce consists of soy sauce, garlic, flour, brown sugar, rice cooking wine, vegetable oil, and sesame oil. As mentioned above, you can choose a light soy sauce if you’re watching your sodium.
How to Store Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
Got leftovers? You can store Chinese Chicken and Broccoli in an airtight container for up to 5 days! This recipe is another great option for meal prep. Take it to work for lunch or serve it for dinner the next day! Sometimes, this recipe is even better the next day because the flavors have time to marinate. Yum! Your coworkers will be asking you where you went for lunch. To that, you can say, I made it last night!
What to Serve With Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
Honestly, the best way to serve this Chinese takeout recipe is over rice, white or brown rice—it doesn’t matter! You don’t need much else—it’s a complete meal in and of itself! If you’re looking for a side dish, you can serve it with an egg roll or another traditional Chinese recipe!
Bring the taste of your favorite Chinese restaurant home with this healthier Chinese Chicken and Broccoli recipe! Enjoy!
More Takeout Chinese Recipes
Pin for later:
Chinese Chicken and BroccoliPrint
- 1 large head of broccoli cut up into florets
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas strings removed, chopped into thirds
For the chicken marinade
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut up into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon rice cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to fry in
- 3/4 cup water or chicken broth
- In a large bowl mix together the marinade ingredients: cornstarch, sugar, baking soda, soy sauce, vegetable oil and water. Add the bite size chicken pieces into bowl and stir to coat. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl mix together the sauce ingredients: soy sauce, minced garlic, brown sugar, flour, rice cooking wine, vegetable oil and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken, it's marinade and 1/2 of the sauce mixture. Keep cooking until chicken is fully cooked, about 4-6 minutes per side, making sure to stir often to prevent sticking.
- Add broccoli, green pepper, sugar snap peas, remaining sauce and 3/4 cup water (or chicken broth). Bring to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the sauce thickens up and broccoli is tender.
- Serve alongside white rice or lo mein, enjoy!