Vegetarian Lentil Kale Soup that’s easy to make on the stove top and ready in 45 minutes. This healthy vegan soup is packed with vegetables and you’ll feel good feeding it to your family.
Easy Lentil Kale Soup Recipe
Ok, so this soup is not going to win in the “most beautiful soup” category, but it’s going to win a prize in the “very delicious, will make again” category which is much more important in my opinion.
This Lentil Kale Soup is vegan, made with vegetables, dry lentils and vegetable broth, along with a couple seasonings. Serve chunky, or use an immersion blender to make it smooth and creamy – it’s up to you! (my personal preference: chunky!).
This soup only takes 45 minutes, from the time you pull the carrots out of your refrigerator (here’s how to store carrots) until you serve in bowls and your family runs into the kitchen. Most of the time spent in this recipe is waiting for the lentils to soften, so it’s definitely an easy recipe to make.
Ingredients You Need
- olive oil
- dry lentils (i buy in bulk)
- kale (3 cups of kale, or use a 5 ounce container of baby kale)
- vegetable broth
- diced tomatoes
- dried parsley
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
How long can I keep this in the refrigerator?
You can store this soup for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze Lentil Kale Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for 6 months. I like to freeze in freezer bags, putting in my refrigerator to defrost overnight. Once ready to make, place in pot and cook on medium high heat until soup is completely heated.
I hope you enjoy this Lentil Kale Soup for dinner soon!
Pin for later:
Lentil Kale SoupPrint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 2 carrots peeled diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup dry lentils rinsed
- 3 cups of kale stems removed and chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onion, carrots and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add lentils, kale, vegetable broth and diced tomatoes to the pot. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add parsley, oregano and thyme and continue stirring.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling lower the temperature to simmer, and simmer the soup for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add lemon juice and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you like it chunky, serve soup as is. If you like a creamy smooth soup, use an immersion blender (or regular blender – careful, soup is hot) and blend until smooth.
- Serve, enjoy! You can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze for 6 months.