Easy healthy Red Cabbage Salad with red bell peppers and onions. Homemade dressing is made with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. Delicious clean eating salad!
Red Cabbage Salad Recipe
Raise your hand if you love cabbage! By the number of cabbage recipes I have shared on here you know I do.
This Red Cabbage Salad is simple, fresh and delicious. I love it because I prefer salads to be more crunchy, less slaw like. To create the crunch I added red bell peppers and onions in.
The homemade dressing is a mixture of apple cider vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice. All these flavors balance out perfectly for this salad, not too sweet, not too sour, just perfect.
Finally, you can add crumbled blue cheese on top. This is optional because I know some people are looking for a vegan salad, but I 100% recommend it. I think it makes the salad a little bit more special, and a little more delicious.
What other vegetables can I add?
Although I would recommend that you keep with the original recipe, I know some people love their their red cabbage salad with apples and other vegetables, so here’s some options if you want to swap out the red pepper for something else.
- 2 apples (fuji or gala) – remove core and slice into thin pieces
- 1 cup carrots – peel and grate thin
I hope you enjoy this Red Cabbage Salad!
Pin for later:
Red Cabbage SaladPrint
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 large head red cabbage sliced thin
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced thin
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Add sugar, onion and celery salt to a large bowl. Stir. Put in refrigerator and let sit for 1 hour.
- Add cabbage and red pepper to the sugar mixture. Stir. Pour in apple cider vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and onion powder and mix so everything is combined. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle blue cheese on top (optional but recommended). Serve.