Creamy Kielbasa Sausage and Kale Soup made on the stovetop. You’ll love this thick stew made with pieces of kielbasa, kale and potatoes.
Best Kielbasa Sausage Soup Recipe
My family loves kielbasa sausage so we always have some in our kitchen. Often I throw it in the crockpot and make recipes like Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Cabbage, Crock Pot Kielbasa in Tomato Sauce and Slow Cooker Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes but I wanted something quick to make on the stove top so I came up with this creamy and delicious Sausage and Kale Soup.
How to Make Sausage Soup On the Stove
In a soup pot, boil potatoes and carrots in chicken broth with butter, until a fork easily goes through the veggies, about 20 minutes.
Use an immersion hand blender (or regular blender) and purée half the veggies in the broth until it’s creamy.
Set the other half of the vegetables to the side (we’ll add these back to the pot later).
Add sausage, kale and salt and pepper and cook for 20 more minutes.
Now add those remaining veggies back in, stir and serve in bowls. Enjoy!
Can I make it in the slow cooker?
You can absolutely turn this into a Slow Cooker Sausage Soup! An immersion blender isn’t really needed for the slow cooker version since the veggies break down over time.
- Place all the ingredients (except kale) into the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Add chopped kale into the slow cooker and cook an additional 30 minutes on high or 1 hour on low. Serve.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- Don’t have kale? You can substitute other hearty greens such as cabbage, collard greens, spinach, swiss chard or mustard greens.
- Want some spice? Add some 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes when you add the salt and pepper.
- Instead of kielbasa sausage, you can also use ground Italian pork sausage or ground beef. Brown the ground meat in a frying pan, drain it and then proceed with the recipe as directed.
Other Sausage Recipes
- Kielbasa and Brussels Sprouts Skillet
- Instant Pot Kielbasa and Cabbage
- Crockpot Kielbasa Soup with Egg Noodles
- Italian Sausage Pasta
- Fried Cabbage With Sausage
- Polish Sausage and Cabbage Soup
- How to Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- Sheet Pan Sausage, Green Beans, Potatoes and Apple Meal
Pin for later:
Kielbasa Sausage and Kale SoupPrint
- 8 cups chicken broth (or water, but broth is more flavorful)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 5 ounces kale chopped (this is about 5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Add chicken broth, butter, potatoes and carrots into a large soup pot, stir and bring to a boil. Continue cooking on a low boil until a fork easily goes through the potatoes, about 20 minutes.
- Remove half of the potatoes/carrots from the pot and set aside for later. Use an immersion blender and blend the broth with remaining potatoes, carrots that are in the pot until creamy.
- Add sausage, kale, salt and pepper to pot, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Add remaining potatoes and carrots back into the pot and stir. Serve and enjoy!
Check out my step-by-step recipe video!