Creamy, hearty and filled with wholesome ingredients, our Kale Bean and Potato Soup is the perfect comfort food for chilly evenings. This kale soup brings together fresh kale, creamy potatoes, and protein packed white beans in a homemade soup the whole family will love! We always serve with fluffy dinner rolls!
Kale, Beans and Potatoes
Kale, Bean, and Potato Soup is a great choice if you’re looking for a easy filling soup for family dinner! It’s filled with all the healthy stuff like kale, beans, and potatoes and warms you up from the inside out – just like a big, comforting hug!
Nutrition is a big win with this soup. It’s packed with healthy ingredients like kale, which is rich in vitamins and minerals. The beans provide a good dose of protein, while the potatoes add a filling element. So, in one bowl, you get a balanced meal that everybody will be asking for seconds!
Ingredients for Creamy Kale Bean Soup
- chopped onion
- minced garlic
- diced potatoes
- chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- white beans (such as cannellini or Great Northern beans)
- chopped kale
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Kale Potato Soup
Saute chopped onion and minced garlic in a large pot.
Stir in diced potatoes and carrots, cooking for a few more minutes.
Pour in broth (you can use chicken or vegetable) and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Partially blend soup with a immersion blender or potato masher. I like blending half of it, still leaving chunks of potatoes in the soup.
Add white beans, kale, thyme, rosemary, and simmer for a few more minutes. It might seem like too much kale when you first add it in, but it will wilt down significantly so keep stirring it.
Tip: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you want some heat to the soup.
Stir in Parmesan cheese, stirring until broth is thickened.
Serve and enjoy this soup!
Want to add meat to this kale soup?
You can add a variety of meats to this soup to make it heartier and more protein-rich.
- Sausage: Italian sausage or Kielbasa can add a burst of flavor to the soup. If using group or sliced Italian Sausage, brown it with the onions and garlic.
- Bacon: Crispy bacon bits are a great addition. Cook the bacon separately until it’s crispy, then crumble it and sprinkle it on top of each serving.
- Ground Meat: Ground meat like ground turkey, chicken, or beef can be browned with the onion and garlic.
- Ham: Diced ham or leftover ham from a roast can be added to the soup for a smoky, salty flavor.
- Chicken: Shred or dice cooked chicken and add it to the soup towards the end of cooking.
How to store leftovers
Store soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat until warm in the microwave or on the stove top over low/medium heat.
Pin for later:
Kale Bean and Potato Soup (So Creamy!)Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 15 ounce can white beans (such as cannellini or Great Northern beans) (you don't need to drain it)
- 1 bunch kale washed and ripped into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often until the onion becomes translucent. and garlic is fragrant.
- Add the diced potatoes and carrots to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are tender, use a potato masher or an immersion blender to partially blend the soup. This will help thicken it while still leaving some chunks of potato for texture.
- Stir in the white beans, chopped kale, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. (Tip: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you want some heat to the soup.) Continue to simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes until the kale is wilted and tender. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until broth chickens up.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy this delicious soup! Have leftovers? Store soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat until warm in the microwave or on the stove top.