Creamy Chicken and Gravy Sandwiches are easy to make and taste delicious. Chicken is cooked in a homemade gravy, ready in 30 minutes.
Chicken and Gravy Recipe
These Chicken and Gravy Sandwiches are pure comfort food. The chicken is simmered in a creamy homemade gravy, making the meat extra delicious and filled with flavor.
Within 30 minutes, you’ll have yummy chicken sandwiches, ready to serve on hamburger buns or kaiser rolls. Serve alongside homemade mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, roasted corn or french fries for the perfect comforting dinner!
How to Make Chicken Gravy on Stove Top
Homemade gravy beats any store bought gravy, and it’s so easy to make with basic ingredients! This is my go to gravy recipe not only for these sandwiches, but also mashed potatoes and casserole dishes.
Melt butter in a large pan.
Add in flour and seasonings, stirring to mix.
Add in chicken broth, whisking to stir until it’s a smooth mixture.
Simmer and continue mixing until it’s a thick gravy.
Add cooked shredded chicken into the pan, and heat for a few more minutes before serving.
Chicken Breast Sandwiches
This recipe calls for 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which are cooked in boiling water. If you don’t have chicken breasts on hand, you can use other white or dark meat – they’ll still be tasty. (PS: I use Crowd Cow for all our meat buying now).
Also, this is the perfect recipe to use up leftover rotisserie chicken. If you’re using a store bought rotisserie chicken, this meal can easily come together in 15 minutes.
Want to add toppings?
We prefer these sandwiches as is, but you can also add toppings if you want!
- Melt a slice of American or cheddar cheese on top
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Pickles or Jalapeno Peppers
- For a crunch add sliced onions or bell peppers
Other Chicken Recipes:
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Creamy Chicken and Noodles
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Takeout General Tso’s Chicken
Oven Roasted Whole Chicken with Cabbage
Pin for later:
Chicken and Gravy SandwichPrint
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 hamburger buns
- Add chicken to a medium pot. Add water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to medium heat. Cook the chicken for about 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool for 5 minutes before shredding it up. Tip: I like to cut the chicken up before boiling it to make it cook faster.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Once melted, add flour, onion powder and thyme, mixing to combine. Add in the chicken broth, a little bit at a time, whisking it until it's smooth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to simmer, making sure to continue mixing it to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken to pan, and cook for a couple more minutes, mixing until you have a creamy chicken and gravy mixture.
- Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy!
PS: Check out my chicken recipe story!
Leave a Comment