Homemade Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup recipe – just like how Mom used to make it! The perfect bowl of comforting soup on a cold Winter day!
Guys, is this winter just crazy?
Besides a few wild snowstorms over the past few years winter has been on the mild side. Sure, we had a record setting snowfall a few times during those years, but that was it for the winter. This year, it’s just winter, all the time. We’re talking snow, ice, slush and cold all the time. It seems to me that whenever I check the weather forecast there’s some type of snowy mix being talked about. And can we talk about how much it stinks to have to walk in the snow? Living in a city is great for so many reasons, one being that I can walk and get anywhere that I want to go, but that means walking through the snow and slush and trying not to fall in the process. It’s a nightmare. On every single corner there will be a giant puddle of slush just waiting for you.
The good thing through all this cold and snow is seeing all the creatures the kids (and adults) create on the sidewalks to cause some smiles. This always cheers me up.
What else cheers me up? Coming inside from a super cold day and warming up with a big bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup. That totally cheers me up.
The secret I’ve found to some great Chicken Noodle Soup is always to use a whole chicken. Not only is this going to provide the meat in your meal but it gives you that real rich chicken broth that no bouillon or boxed broth can give. Pair this with some fresh vegetables and spices and you’ll have one big bowl of soup that will be sure to warm you up.
Homemade Vegetable Chicken Noodle SoupPrint
- 1 whole chicken cut up
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 12 oz bag of egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Cover chicken in 4 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot carefully. Remove all the meat you can from the bones, but carefully as it is hot. Set meat aside. Put bones back into broth and simmer for 45 minutes, covered.
- Remove the bones from both, be sure to get them all out.
- Add carrots, celery, salt, turmeric, white pepper, thyme and parsley flakes to the pot. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat back to high and add in egg noodles and chicken. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until your noodles are cooked.
- Mix your flour with a few tablespoons of water until smooth in a small bowl. Pour into soup and continue to stir to make the broth creamier.
- Serve and enjoy.