Easy to make Homemade Chicken Noodle soup made with a whole chicken, vegetables and egg noodles. This classic recipe will feel like a big comforting hug in a bowl!
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Even though this Chicken Noodle Soup is homemade with the broth made from scratch, don’t get intimidated. It’s actually quite easy to make, and definitely worth the little bit of extra time.
In the end you’ll have a delicious chicken noodle soup made with homemade broth, tasty chicken, carrots, celery and egg noodles. It’s the perfect dinner for chilly nights, or when you need some comfort in a bowl. I hope you love it as much as my family does!
Looking to only use chicken thighs? Try my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup made with chicken thighs!
Watch How I Make It
What ingredients do you need?
- 1 whole chicken
- vegetables: chicken and carrots
- spices: salt, pepper, turmeric, thyme and parsley
- egg noodles
- flour to chicken the broth up
The Secret Ingredient: Homemade Chicken Broth
The secret I’ve found to the best Chicken Noodle Soup is to make homemade chicken broth by using a whole chicken.
Not only is this going to provide the meat for your soup but it provides a real rich chicken broth that no bouillon or boxed broth can give.
Do you cook noodles before adding to soup?
No, you’ll cook the egg noodles directly in the chicken broth in the soup pot. Doing this is going to make them more flavorful too since they’re being cooked in flavored broth.
Tip: Want to make this really special? Try my homemade egg noodles!
What can I add to chicken soup to give it flavor?
Besides homemade chicken broth, you’ll need salt, white pepper (black pepper is fine too), turmeric, thyme and parsley. This will all make the soup more flavorful.
How to make best chicken noodle soup from scratch
First, buy a whole chicken. You can either chop it up yourself, or sometimes the meat department will have already chopped it up for you.
In a large soup pot cover the chicken with 4 quarts of water.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken from the pot and shred the meat off the bones. I do this on a cutting board. Please be careful, the chicken is very hot!
Put the chicken aside in a bowl and put the bones back into the broth. This is going to make the most delicious homemade chicken broth!
When the broth is done be extra sure to remove every bone from the broth.
Now add back in the shredded chicken, along with chopped carrots and celery, salt, pepper, turmeric, thyme, parsley and egg noodles.
One more step to make it more creamy, mix flour and water in a small bowl until smooth. Pour into the soup pot and give it a couple stirs.
Now my favorite part – time to eat dinner!
Serve in bowls and enjoy this homemade chicken noodle soup!
More Chicken Soup Recipes:
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
How to make a Rotisserie Chicken in the Oven
Creamy Chicken and Noodles
Shredded Chicken Dumpling Soup
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken and White Bean Soup
Cheap Chicken Recipes for $10 or Less
Pin for later:
Homemade Chicken Noodle SoupPrint
- 1 whole chicken cut up
- 4 carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (or black pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 12 oz bag egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cover chicken in 4 quarts of water in large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot. Place the chicken on a cutting board and remove all the meat you can from the bones (careful, it's hot!). Shred up the chicken and set it aside. Put the bones back into broth and simmer for 45 minutes, covered.
- Remove the bones completely from the broth, discard them.
- Add shredded chicken, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, turmeric, thyme, parsley and egg noodles into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix flour and water until smooth. Pour this mixture into the soup pot and stir to make a creamier broth.
- Serve the soup and enjoy!