The best homemade chicken noodle soup made with chicken thighs. Filled with broth, healthy veggies and egg noodles, this soup will make you feel warm and cozy on chilly nights and sick days!
The Best Chicken Noodle Soup
I’m going to keep this short and simple because what else is there to say about chicken noodle soup? We all love it. It makes us feel warm. It makes us feel cozy. It makes us feel better when we’re sick. Adults love it. Kids love it. It’s the best.
This is our favorite chicken noodle soup because it’s made with chicken thighs. Dark meat is tastier and juicier, making the broth more flavorful.
Why is chicken noodle soup best when you’re sick?
We’ve all been there. Someone is feeling sick in your family so you decide you’re going to make them chicken noodle soup! But why?
Besides the natural warm comfort that chicken noodle soup brings (and all the childhood memories of mom and dad making it!), it’s a great way to get in both fluids (broth) and vitamins (vegetables). The broth and softened ingredients are also comforting for a sore throat as they don’t scratch it.
Ingredients you need:
- Chicken thighs – why this soup is so good! Some people like chicken breast or a whole chicken (if this is you check out my chicken noodle soup made with a whole chicken) for noodle soup but I recommend chicken thighs because they offer the best taste (also quicker to cook!).
- Carrots & Celery – These veggies add nutrition and a crunch to the soup. Love corn in your chicken soup? You can add a can of corn (or frozen corn) at the very end if you’d like.
- Spices – salt, pepper (white or black), turmeric, ground thyme and parsley.
- Noodles – Use wide egg noodles, either store bought or make homemade egg noodles if you have the time.
- Liquid – chicken broth and water, these together make a good chicken broth base.
- Thickener – we mix flour and milk together to make a slurry that thickens up the broth.
How to make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Put the chicken thighs in a large soup pot, covering them with chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked.
Take out the chicken from the pot and shred it on a cutting board.
Combine shredded chicken, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, turmeric, thyme, parsley, and egg noodles in the pot. Bring it to a boil, then let it simmer.
In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Pour this mixture into the soup pot and stir to make the broth creamier.
Simply ladle the soup into bowls and savor this tasty chicken noodle soup!
Storing and Freezing Noodle Soup:
Storing: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze: Allow the soup to cool completely before putting in freezer safe containers. If you are freezing this to for a future meal I recommend undercooking the noodles before freezing soup to prevent them from getting soggy. You can freeze chicken noodle soup for up to 3 months.
Pin for later:
Chicken Noodle Soup Made with Chicken ThighsPrint
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs boneless/skinless
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 12 ounce bag egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cover chicken thighs in a large soup pot with chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred it up on a cutting board.
- Add shredded chicken, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, parsley, turmeric, thyme and egg noodles into the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together flour and water until no longer clumpy. Pour this flour mixture into the soup pot, stirring to make the soup broth more creamy.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy this delicious chicken noodle soup!