Set the Instant Pot to 1 minute and make these cheesy potatoes! Milk and shredded cheese are used to make the cream sauce, and then more cheese is added on top under the broiler to make them browned and bubbly. Pretty much the quickest most delicious potatoes you can make!
Quick Instant Pot Potatoes
I love any recipe where I’m able to set my Instant Pot to 1 minute. It’s magic happening in there!
For these cheesy potatoes, you’re cooking them for 1 minute, and then it’s up to you if you want to broil them for a couple more minutes to brown the cheese. I recommend doing it because browned cheesy potatoes are ultimate comfort food satisfaction.
These potatoes remind me of both scalloped potatoes and potatoes au gratin, because of how they’re sliced and presented, but this recipe is so much easier due to the Instant Pot.
What kind of potatoes should I use?
I prefer using Yukon Gold potatoes for this recipe because they are naturally creamy and buttery inside, perfect for cheesy potatoes. Also the skins are very thin so there’s no need to peel them (you know how much I love no peel recipes – hey potato soup and yukon gold mashed potatoes).
If you’re using Idaho/Russet potatoes, that’s fine, but I would peel them first.
How to Make Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Slice potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.
Add potatoes, chopped green onions, chicken broth, garlic powder, paprika and salt & pepper in the Instant Pot.
Mix to fully coat the potatoes in the spices.
Cook on HIGH pressure for 1 minute.
Release pressure using the quick-release method. This should only take about 2-4 minutes. The potatoes should be fork tender.
Add milk and shredded cheddar cheese to the Instant Pot, stirring until cheese is melted.
Choose your adventure: Just want softened cheesy potatoes? You can totally stop here, but if you want them browned and bubbly (highly recommend), continue on.
Transfer cheesy potatoes to a 8×8 baking dish.
Sprinkle some more cheese on top.
Broil on HIGH for a couple minutes, watching them carefully so they don’t burn. Remove from oven when they start to brown. Allow to sit for a few minutes to thicken the sauce up. Serve and enjoy these delicious cheesy potatoes!
Want to bake it it instead of using the broiler?
Instead of broiling it you can bake it instead. After using the Instant Pot, transfer to a baking dish and bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Want to make it a full meal?
After Instant Pot is complete, add 1 pound of cooked diced ham or shredded chicken into the pot, stirring to coat in the cheesy cream sauce.
How to Reheat
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
The best way to reheat potatoes is in the oven to crisp them tops back up. Remove from the refrigerator while you heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are warm.
If you’re in a rush, microwave is fine too. Heat them up for a few minutes until they’re all warm.
Pin for later:
Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes (1 minute!)Print
- 2 pounds potatoes (I like Yukon Gold potatoes)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup green onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Slice potatoes into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, onion, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper into the Instant Pot, stirring to coat the potatoes with spices.
- Close and lock the lid, setting the valve to the sealing position. Select HIGH pressure and set the timer for 1 minute.
- Release pressure using the quick-release method, about 2-4 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Add milk and 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese to the pot. Stir until cheese is fully melted.
- Just want softened cheesy potatoes? You can totally stop here (let the potatoes sit a few minutes to thicken up the sauce), but if you want them browned and bubbly (highly recommend), continue on.
- Transfer the potatoes to a 8×8 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup shredded cheese on top.
- Turn your oven broiler to HIGH. Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, allowing to cool for a few minutes to thicken up. Serve and enjoy!