Pan-fried chicken breasts are cooked with mushrooms and onions in a savory wine sauce to make this 30 Minute Chicken Marsala recipe. A quick and easy restaurant-worthy dish at home!
Quick and easy chicken marsala
This 30 Minute Chicken Marsala recipe comes together in one pan and is ready to eat in no time. Each bite is elevated with mushrooms and a savory Marsala wine sauce. Just because it looks fancy doesn’t mean it’s hard to make!
You can always count on chicken marsala when you’re craving something delicious, savory, and easy on busy weeknights. It’s perfect for the whole family! And don’t worry about the wine – the alcohol cooks out as the sauce simmers.
This savory Italian dinner is best served with creamy mashed potatoes, a vibrant kale salad, and green beans on the side. It’s like bringing the restaurant experience to your own home!
What is chicken marsala?
Chicken marsala is an Italian-American recipe that’s made with pan-fried chicken breasts, mushrooms, and a savory sauce. The sauce, in particular, is special because it’s made with sweet Marsala cooking wine.
What is chicken marsala made of?
You need 3 key ingredients in a chicken marsala recipe:
- Chicken breasts – Use thin boneless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds worth) so they’re quick to prepare and don’t need to be flattened with a meat mallet.
- Marsala wine – This is a fortified wine from Sicily with rich and sweet flavors and it’s necessary for a true marsala recipe. It’s a great ingredient to have on hand because it stores well for a long time, can be used in savory recipes, and can be enjoyed by the glass paired with dessert.
- Mushrooms – Any kind of mushroom you enjoy eating will work in this recipe. They’re cooked with the marsala sauce and add lots of texture to this savory meal.
How to make easy chicken marsala in 30 minutes
This is a one-pan dinner made with easy ingredients and no special equipment! It makes enough for the whole family and is ready to eat after 5 simple steps:
Place the chicken breasts, flour, salt, pepper, and oregano in a large plastic bag. Shake it all together until the chicken is completely covered.
Heat some olive oil in a pan, then add the coated chicken breasts and cook until they’re golden brown on both sides.
To make the marsala sauce, pour the Marsala cooking wine and beef broth over the chicken in the pan.
Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan.
Cover with a lid while the sauce simmers and vegetables soften.
Serve the chicken marsala with sauce on top and mashed potatoes and vegetables on the side. Enjoy!
Tips and variations
- Chicken marsala without wine – You can substitute Marsala wine with Madeira wine or dry sherry. If you’re looking for a non-alcohol replacement, Bake It With Love suggests using a combination of ¼ cup white grape juice, 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Broth – While I prefer the rich flavor of beef broth, both chicken and vegetable broth will work when making the sauce.
- To thicken marsala sauce – A cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mixed with water) should thicken the marsala sauce if it’s too thin for your liking.
- Need some spice? Finely dice up a jalapeño pepper and serve it on top of the chicken.
- Craving a creamy marsala sauce? Once the gravy has come together and the mushrooms are soft, stir in ¼ cup of heavy cream to make the sauce creamier.
Chicken marsala is traditionally served with Italian-inspired side dishes, like risotto, rice, pasta, and polenta. I like to keep things simple with green vegetables (roasted broccoli and brussels sprouts are my favorite) and mashed potatoes!
Looking for more easy chicken dinners?
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Lemon Pepper Chicken and Roasted Vegetables
- Crockpot Chicken with Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Chicken and Gravy Sandwiches
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Oven Baked Chicken Meatballs
- Creamy Chicken and Noodles
Pin for later:
30 Minute Chicken MarsalaPrint
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup Marsala cooking wine
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- Place chicken breasts into a plastic bag with flour, oregano, salt and pepper. Shake the bag so chicken breasts are completely covered in this mixture.
- Pour olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until browned and fully cooked inside, about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Make sure to flip the chicken during this process to brown on all sides.
- Pour beef broth and marsala wine over chicken in pan. Add mushrooms and onions to pan and stir.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken half way to get all sides covered with gravy.
- Serve next to mashed potatoes and vegetables! Enjoy!
Leave a Comment