Learn how to cook PERFECT Indian Basmati Rice Recipe in under 30 minutes! This easy basmati rice uses fragrant spices to create authentic tasting Indian rice. Pair it with roasted vegetables to make a healthy, vegan meal for dinner!
Basmati Rice Recipe
I love Indian food. The problem is that I don’t have any experience with Indian cooking, or traditional Indian spices so I was always scared to try cooking it in my own kitchen. Instead I forked over the money for Indian take-out, wishing I could make my own!
How authentic is this recipe? It tastes so much like our favorite Indian restaurant that Matthew thought I bought it from there! And here’s the best part – it’s so easy to make! You can be a total Indian food cooking newbie and totally nail this basmati rice recipe!
Basmati Rice Recipe Video
What is Basmati rice?
Let’s talk rice first because not all rice is created equal. Indian rice calls for basmati (baz-mah-tee) rice which is a long grain rice that’s more expensive than typical plain white rice. You will find various brands of it in your local grocery store but here’s the one I use. Basmati is my favorite, not just because of the taste but the smell – it smells amazing!
Nutritionally, white and basmati rice have pretty much the same calorie content as basmati rice is about 200 calories per 1 cup cooked rice.
How to Cook Basmati Rice
To make good basmati rice requires soaking it for 20 minutes before cooking. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with water. This is going to make a good texture in the rice, and also make it a little bit physically longer when cooked. Trust me for this, you really want to soak your rice before cooking it so please don’t skip this step!
Can you see that just from soaking it for 20 minutes has already made the rice noticeably more fluffy?
How to Make Indian Rice
The process of making Indian rice is pretty easy, although it requires a few spices. The way to get that delicious tasting rice calls for ground cinnamon, cumin, cloves and cardamom. When you mix that with the vegetable oil, you’re creating a base for the rice to soak in so each piece of rice is going to be packed with flavor!
Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add cinnamon, cumin, cloves and cardamom to oil and stir until all combined.
Add rice to saucepan and stir until completely coated with spices, about 2 minutes.
Add salt and water to saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover with lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
Remove rice from stove, fluff with a fork and serve.
Your kitchen is going to smell like a food lovers dream! Indian food in some of the most fragrant food and this Indian basmati rice is going to smell great!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy!
Looking for more rice recipes?
Pin for later:
Easy Indian Basmati RicePrint
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Place basmati rice in a medium sized bowl, covering it completely with water. Let it sit for 20 minutes, and then drain the rice. Doing this is going to provide the rice a great texture – please don’t skip this step.
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add cinnamon, cumin, cloves and cardamom to oil and stir until all combined.
- Add rice to saucepan and stir until completely coated with spices, about 2 minutes.
- Add salt and water to saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover with lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove rice from stove, fluff with a fork and serve.