4 hour Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe. This crockpot dinner tastes just like your favorite Indian restaurant, but made in your own kitchen! Serve with basmati rice and naan.
Crockpot Butter Chicken
Indian food is one of our favorites for takeout, but the prices (although totally worth it!) make me gasp!
This Butter Chicken is delicious, filled with flavorful spices, will make your house smell AMAZING (seriously, we could smell it cooking when we got off the elevator onto our floor!), and here’s my favorite part – it’s easy! This is a simple “throw all the ingredients into your slow cooker” and come back later for a delicious dinner waiting for you!
If you love Indian food, you need to try this crockpot butter chicken! And then you need to come back and try my Chickpea Curry too!
How to Make Tandoori Masala
If you can’t find tandoori masala in your spice aisle, it’s easy to make with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. I like to make this homemade version below. The recipe only calls for 2 teaspoons of tandoori masala, so place the remaining in a small glass jar to use later on.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Add ingredients above, mix and ta-da you have homemade tandoori masala!
Step by Step How to Make Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
Add your bite size pieces of chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker, along with butter and vegetable oil.
Chop up a medium onion and 4 cloves of garlic and add them in.
Now add in a entire can of coconut milk.
Add in your tomato paste.
Guys! This is just gorgeous isn’t it? Look at the vibrant colors!
Finally, add in your low-fat yogurt and give it a mix.
Now let the slow cooker do all the work and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 7 hours. Look at that delicious sauce!
Now my favorite part – time to serve and eat! I like to serve my homemade Butter Chicken alongside basmati rice and naan.
Now time to eat it all up! I hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe as much as we do!
Can I freeze butter chicken?
Absolutely! Not only are the leftovers amazing, but you can freeze it too!
Put butter chicken in freezer bags and then freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight or for a few minutes in the microwave. Heat up in the microwave or stove top.
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken (4 Hours)Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts cut up into bite size pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons tandoori masala (see my post if you want to make your own)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- Put all of your ingredients into your slow cooker. Mix so all ingredients are completely combined and chicken is coated in the sauce.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
- Serve in bowls with basmati rice and naan.