There’s nothing better than some comfort food, right?! This Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings recipe is simply that. A classic dinner recipe that will warm the entire family up on a cool evening, ready in 8 hours.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings are a staple recipe in our home, especially during the cooler months. It’s so nice to put all the ingredients in and know dinner is ready when the family is! Not to mention, it leaves the home smelling delicious! Don’t you just love slow cooker recipes?
How long do dumplings take in a slow cooker?
With our version of the Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings recipe we use canned refrigerated biscuits to help speed up the cooking time. Once you place the biscuits into the crock pot it typically takes about an hour on high.
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Dried thyme, Italian seasoning and rosemary
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cream of chicken soup
- Refrigerated biscuits
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
On both sides season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Then place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Add the chicken broth, thyme and Italian seasoning on top of the chicken breasts and stir.
Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic onto the top of the chicken. Then place small cubes of butter on top of the vegetables.
Add the cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups. Top with the rosemary and stir.
Slow Cook on low for 7 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Once the chicken has cooked, shred it up with two forks and place back into the slow cooker.
Grab your can of biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces and coat all the biscuit pieces with flour.
Top the chicken mixture with biscuits. Don’t stir them, as we want them to “bake” on top.
Cook for 1 more hour, serve and enjoy this comforting meal!
Can you overcook dumplings in a slow cooker?
You can’t really overcook the dumplings as they break down and get soft. However, you can undercook the dumplings. Make sure before serving the dumplings are firm and not raw dough still.
Can you put raw chicken into the slow cooker?
YES! This is my favorite thing about the slow cooker. You can put raw chicken in with other ingredients to make a speedy dinner recipe.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Chicken and DumplingsPrint
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 6 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter cut up into small cubes
- (1 ) 10.75 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- (1 ) 10.75 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- (1) 10 ounce package refrigerated biscuit dough
- flour to coat
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. Place in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth, thyme and Italian seasonings on top of chicken breasts and stir.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic into slow cooker. Place small cubes of butter on top of the vegetables. Add 2 cans of soup into slow cooker and sprinkle rosemary on top. Stir to fully combine.
- Cook on LOW for 7 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred it up with a fork and place back into slow cooker
- Remove biscuits from package and cut each biscuit up into 4 pieces. Roll dough pieces in flour to coat. Drop into slow cooker on top (don’t mix) and cook for 1 more hour on HIGH.
- Serve and enjoy!
Check out my Chicken and Dumplings web story too!