FAMILY FAVORITE Slow Cooker Chicken Chipotle Tacos! These shredded chicken tacos are made in the crockpot in a chipotle sauce marinade! This recipe is easy to make and is ready in 10 on low or 5 hours on high. They are our favorite authentic Mexican tacos!
We are big taco lovers in this house, but there are only 2 true taco recipes we love. One is a pepper steak where we cook on the stove, the other is Chicken Chipotle Tacos that are slow cooked for hours causing delicious smells all day long. I have messed with this recipe over the past few years and it’s now become a family favorite.
This recipe makes a good bit of shredded chicken so it’s easily a few meals for us. Whatever is left over, we put into freezer bags and freeze. Isn’t it the best when you are feeling lazy but can still pull out a amazing homemade meal out of your freezer, defrost it and you’re set? This recipe I tell ya, it gives and it gives.
These tacos are also a crowd pleaser, perfect for the big game, friends over for Sunday brunch or just a movie night!
You will need to get some dried ancho chiles. You can usually find these in the produce section, they come in a plastic bag and cost around $3.
You will also need a small can of chipotle sauce, here’s the brand I use. You can find this in the mexican food aisle.
Now we want to start to make the Chipotle marinade. Add all your ingredients, except the chicken breasts, into the food processor.
Don’t worry about this being too spicy, it’s just perfect! I promise you!
Put your chicken into your slow cooker.
Now your kitchen is going to be smelling great! Take a fork and shred up the chicken, you can do this right in the slow cooker, or you can put it on a cutting board.
Stir it around in the chipotle marinade and dinner is ready! You’re going to love these Slow Cooker Chicken Chipotle Tacos!
Use hard or soft shells, and fill them up with this delicious chicken! Top with your favorite toppings (tomatoes, lettuce, onions, peppers, cilantro, beans, rice, cheese, avocado… the list goes on!).
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Side Dishes for Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Chicken Chipotle TacosPrint
- 2 ounces dried ancho chiles
- 7 ounce can chipotle sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- Soften your ancho chiles by boiling them for 15 minutes in a small saucepan of water. Drain, cut open chiles and remove the seeds. Throw the seeds away.
- Add ancho chiles, chipotle sauce, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic and vegetable oil n a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Use a knife and stab a few holes in each chicken breast. This will help them soak up the marinade sauce.
- Add chicken to slow cooker, then pour chipotle marinade on top. Spread all over chicken. Add 1/2 cup of water. Stir chicken so everything is marinated in the water/sauce.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Use a fork and shred the chicken up in the slow cooker.
- Serve on hard or soft shells with whatever toppings you'd like!