Vegan Red Lentil Dal Soup recipe that’s easy to make. You’ll love this healthy lentil soup made with carrots, celery and onion, seasoned with spices.
Easy Red Lentil Dal Recipe
I love this Red Lentil Dal recipe because not only is it delicious, but it’s easy to make! I often make this on busy weeknights, along with my favorite basmati rice and some homemade (and sometimes store bought) naan.
The cook time for this recipe is 40 minutes but most of the time is spent waiting for the lentils to cook. At the end you have a choice to keep it chunky or use an immersion blender to make it smooth. And then after that, it’s time to serve and eat!
What ingredients do you need?
Vegetable broth – some people prefer cooking their lentils in water but cooking it in broth gives it so much more flavor.
Red lentils – lentils are budget friendly, healthy, and always stocked in my kitchen!
Vegetables – because we always need more veggies, we’ll be adding garlic, onion, carrot and celery into this Lentil Dal.
Spices – cumin is my favorite, so we’re adding that in, along with turmeric, salt and pepper.
Lemon – Lemon juice is going to even out the taste at the end, don’t skip this, it’s a must-have. Tip: You can also use lime, gives it a slight different taste, but tastes delicious too.
Instant Pot Red Lentil Dal
Want to make this recipe in the Instant Pot instead? Ok here’s how. Sauté the garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Add vegetable broth, lentils, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper and stir. Seal the Iid and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Use the quick release, and then stir in the lemon juice. Serve.
Looking for more homemade Indian Recipes? Try my Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe too!
I hope you enjoy this Red Lentil Dal Soup!
Pin for later:
Red Lentil Dal SoupPrint
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Add vegetable broth and lentils into a large pot, cooking on high heat until it boils. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium heat, add in garlic, onion, carrot and celery, stirring until the vegetables are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery into lentil pot and stir. Add cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper to pot and stir again. Simmer for 10 more minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Remove pot from burner. If you want a chunky soup move to the next step. If you want a smooth soup use an immersion blender, or carefully transfer to a blender to blend. Blend until smooth. Be very careful, the soup is hot!
- Add lemon juice to pot, stir, and serve. I love serving this with basmati rice and naan.