Easy to make creamy cabbage casserole recipe. This creamed cabbage is made with an entire head of cabbage for a delicious side dish or simple dinner.
Creamy Cabbage Casserole
I love this Creamy Cabbage Casserole recipe because it’s creamy, cheesy, easy to make and so delicious! It reminds me of macaroni and cheese but without the pasta.
The cabbage is boiled to make it tender, and then a creamy sauce is made with cheddar cheese. These are poured into a baking dish, with bread crumbs added on top. In 30 minutes, you’ll have a delicious cabbage dish ready to serve your family!
Here’s a quick video I made to show you how eas it is to make!
This makes a great side dish to serve along with meat, but we also love it as a main course served with some crusty bread. Make sure to check out my recommendations below on what to serve it with!
How to Make Creamy Cabbage
Spray a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick spray or butter it. You can also use a 11×7 baking dish if you’d like.
Chop up an entire head of cabbage, removing the core inside.
Boil the chopped up cabbage until tender. This takes about 10 minutes. When finished, drain it and let it sit in the colander for a few minutes. This step is IMPORTANT as we don’t want watery cabbage. You can even throw it into your salad spinner and give it a spin to get all the water off.
While the cabbage is boiling, make the cream sauce. You’ll melt butter and chopped onion in a medium-sized saucepan. Add flour, milk, salt and pepper, and finally cheddar cheese and whisk until thickened and creamy.
Put the cabbage into the baking dish, and then add the cream sauce, mix to combine. Finally, sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is browned.
Serve and enjoy! I hope you love this Creamy Cabbage Casserole!
Can I turn this into a Sausage and Cabbage Casserole?
Definitely! You can add kielbasa to make this a sausage and cabbage casserole. Take a pound of kielbasa and chop it up into 1 inch pieces and put into the baking dish. Mix to fully combine with the cabbage and cream sauce. Bake as usual for 30 minutes, or until the meat is fully cooked.
What to Serve This Cabbage With?
You can serve this as a creamy side dish along with a Whole Slow Cooker Chicken, Oven Baked Sausage, BBQ Chicken Thighs or Slow Cooker Spare Ribs.
Alternatively, we sometimes have this as a main dish served with Slow Cooker Bread or Italian Bread made in the bread machine.
Other Cabbage Recipes You’ll Love
- Fried Cabbage With Sausage
- Polish Cabbage Rolls
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Cabbage
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Pierogies With Cabbage
- Cabbage Soup (with onions, carrots)
- Cheesy Green Beans and Cabbage
- Polish Sausage and Cabbage Soup
- Cabbage and Noodles
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Ham and Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Cabbage
Pin for later:
Creamy Cabbage CasserolePrint
- 1 medium head of cabbage core removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×9 baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cabbage and cook until slightly tender, about 10 minutes. Drain cabbage completely. I like to let it sit in the colander for a few minutes to make sure cabbage is not watery. Add cabbage into baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until slightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add in flour and mix. Slowly pour in the milk, continuing to whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper, and continue mixing. Add in cheese, a little bit at a time, and continue whisking until sauce becomes thickened.
- Pour cheese sauce on top of cabbage and mix. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is browned.
Leave a Comment