Easy Cabbage Soup made on the stovetop in 1 hour. This healthy soup is packed with cabbage, carrots, diced tomatoes, onions, chicken broth and spices! It’s only 134 calories per serving!
Another week, another cabbage recipe. Does anyone else’s family love cabbage? I love how versatile cabbage is, from casseroles, to slow cooker meals to this delicious soup that’s perfect for a chilly night.
Cabbage Soup is a healthy dinner option that’s quick to throw together and will leave your family slurping up the broth (something that is definitely allowed at our dinner table!). I hope you like it just as much as I do!
Here’s a quick video I made to show you easy it is to make!
Is Cabbage Soup Healthy?
Cabbage Soup is a relatively healthy meal mostly consisting of vegetables. Cabbage Soup is only 134 calories per serving.
What is in Cabbage Soup?
The main ingredient of cabbage soup is well… cabbage! Besides a whole head of cabbage, we use onion, garlic, carrots, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and some spices for taste.
Note: If you want to make it vegetarian simply swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth – it’s that easy!
How to Make Cabbage Soup
In a large soup pot sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until it smells good and lightly browns.
Add in chicken broth, salt, pepper and basil, stir.
Add in your vegetables: cabbage, carrots and a can of diced tomatoes. No need to drain those tomatoes! Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
Extra special tip: Make homemade diced tomatoes!
Serve the soup in bowls and add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top (optional, but highly recommended!). Enjoy!
Can I make Cabbage Soup in the Crockpot?
You sure can. Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
What else can I add to this soup?
You can definietely make this soup more hearty with these options.
- Meat: Add in Ground Beef or Ground Sausage. Alternatively you can slice up some Sweet Italian Sausage or Kielbasa into 1 inch pieces and add to soup.
- Rice: Once soup is done add in cooked rice and stir. This is a great way to use leftover rice!
- Dumplings: My family loves this soup with homemade dumplings. Bring soup to a boil, add in dumplings and let cook for a few more minutes.
How long is Cabbage Soup Good For?
Cabbage Soup that is kept in the refrigerator is good for 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Alternatively you can also freeze leftovers. I like freezing them in single portion freezer bags for lunch meals or quick dinner options. Cabbage soup freezes well for up to 3 months.
More Cabbage Recipes
My family loves cabbage so I have lots of cabbage recipes to share. Here are some of my favorites:
- Polish Cabbage Rolls
- Fried Cabbage With Sausage
- Pierogies With Cabbage
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Cabbage
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Cabbage and Noodles
- Cheesy Green Beans and Cabbage
- Creamy Cabbage Casserole
- Oven Roasted Whole Chicken with Cabbage
Pin for later:
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add in chopped onion and garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth, salt, pepper and basil and stir. Add cabbage, carrots and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls, add a little sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top of each bowl if desired. Enjoy.