Pierogies with cabbage, onions and crispy bacon made on the stove top. This is a quick and easy homemade meal!
Pierogies With Cabbage
Pierogies are a food that I had very often as a kid, so it comes as no surprise that I’m making them now for my family! We love potato and cheese pierogies served with cabbage, onions and bacon! If you’ve never tried pierogies and cabbage, or you’re already a pierogi connoisseur, I think you’ll like this recipe!
How to Make Pierogies with Cabbage
Brown the bacon in a large skillet. You’ll want to use 1/4 pound which is about 4 slices of bacon. Once browned, remove the bacon from the skillet but keep the drippings! We’re going to cook everything else in those yummy bacon drippings!
Cook cabbage and onion in the drippings in the skillet until softened. What can you do with the other half of the cabbage? Make my Cabbage and Noodles for dinner tomorrow night!
Add in tomatoes, white wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and bacon and cook a little bit longer.
While the cabbage and onions are cooking, cook your pierogies. You can either boil them or pan fry them – it’s completely up to you! Once they’re cooked, add them into the skillet.
Now dinner is ready! Enjoy these Pierogies with Cabbage! Optional but delicious: Add fresh chopped chives and sour cream on top!
Can I use kielbasa instead of bacon?
Yes, you sure can because Pierogies with Kielbasa is delicious! Just swap the bacon for sliced up kielbasa and cook as usual.
Do I have to add tomatoes?
No, if you don’t want to, don’t add tomatoes. 50% of the time I add tomatoes, the other 50% of the time I don’t add tomatoes (like the pictures for this post!). The tomatoes add a nice sweetness to the cabbage and onions that we really love, and if it’s garden season there’s definitely tomatoes going in, but they’re not absolutely needed if you don’t want.
Hope you enjoy this Cabbage and Pierogies meal soon! 🙂
More Easy Cabbage Recipes
Pin for later:
Pierogies With CabbagePrint
- 4 slices bacon approximately 1/4 pound, chopped
- 1/2 small head cabbage chopped
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce package) frozen pierogies
- fresh chives chopped up (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until browned and crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside, but keep the drippings in the skillet.
- Add cabbage and onion to drippings in the skillet, cover with lid and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Remove the lid and add in tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and bacon to the skillet, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
- Cook pierogies according to the package and drain. Add pierogies into the skillet with cabbage ingredients, stir, and serve! Optional: I like to add chopped fresh chives on top to give it a little color on top! Hope you enjoy!