This decadent Chocolate Brownie Frosting is the best! Cocoa powder, sugar, butter, and peanut butter create a thick frosting that hardens on top of rich brownies as soon as it sets. It’s the perfect pairing for any chocolate brownie, homemade or box!
Chocolate buttercream frosting for brownies
We all know that brownies are one of the greatest desserts of all time. They are, what I think, to be the perfect dessert! Dense and full of chocolatey goodness, I just can’t stop making them!
What really turns a brownie into a next-level treat is the frosting. Buttercream frosting for brownies is made by mixing together fats and sugar to achieve a rich and thick texture. My secret ingredient in the absolute best Chocolate Brownie Frosting is peanut butter to give it a slightly nutty flavor and a decadent bite.
Life is too short to make the same chocolate brownies over and over again. That’s why I love to make so many unique varieties, like Chocolate Avocado Brownies, Kidney Bean Brownies, and even Diet Coke Brownies. And let’s not forget my sneaky Spinach Brownies too (perfect for the picky eaters out there)!
Whether you make a classic chocolate brownie, boxed brownies or a version with a twist, don’t forget the frosting and fun decorations! It’s the secret to taking your dessert up a notch.
How to make chocolate brownie frosting
Making chocolate brownie buttercream frosting is simple and done in just two easy steps. You’ll need a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer (that’s what I use) with a bowl to whip up the frosting until it’s creamy and delicious.
To make brownie frosting, add the melted butter and cocoa powder in a medium bowl.
Mix them together before adding in the powdered sugar, peanut butter, milk, and vanilla. Keep mixing until you reach a creamy and smooth texture.
Add the chocolate frosting on top of a warm batch of brownies.
Using a spatula, spread evenly across the brownies.
Let the brownies cool completely so the frosting can set and they’re easier to cut.
How to decorate brownies with icing
The most important factor when decorating brownies is your timing. The butter and sugar in this frosting will set and form a hard sugary crust as soon as it cools. If you’re going to add any toppings, make sure you add them immediately after frosting the brownies so they stick.
I love to add fun and delicious toppings like these to chocolate brownies:
- Chocolate and rainbow sprinkles.
- Chopped nuts such as walnuts, pecans, cashews, and peanuts.
- Chocolate M&M’s.
- A drizzle of melted white chocolate.
- Butterscotch or peanut butter chips.
- Dried strawberries.
- Flaked sea salt.
- Edible gold dust.
- Make sure your baked brownies are ready BEFORE making the frosting. As this chocolate frosting sets and hardens as soon as it cools, it needs to be added to the brownies when they’re warm.
- Feel free to use this frosting on cakes and cupcakes. A little nutty and chocolatey, this chocolate fudge frosting would also be delicious on my Chocolate Butter Cake or Small Birthday Cake.
Storing buttercream frosting
To make ahead: Once the frosting is made, store it in an airtight container or sealed pastry bag for up to 1 week.
To freeze: Place the frosting in an airtight container or a freezer-safe bag with the air removed and freeze for up to 3 months. Let it defrost completely in the fridge before using the frosting.
Using after: As it chills or freezes, the frosting is likely to lose some of its moisture and will harden slightly. For the best results, let the frosting sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes and then re-whip it with a hand mixer until it’s smooth and creamy again.
More brownie recipes to try
- Rocky Road Brownies
- 100 CALORIE Single Serving Brownie
- Extra Strong Coffee Brownies
- Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
- Healthy Triple Chocolate Brownies
More chocolate desserts you might like
- Buttercream Icing for Cupcakes
- Gooey Chocolate Butter Cake
- The Best Chocolate Milkshake
- Chocolate Vegan Fudge
- Chocolate Pretzel Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Crockpot Hot Chocolate
Pin for later:
Chocolate Brownie FrostingPrint
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium-sized bowl add melted butter and cocoa powder and use a electric hand mixer to mix until well combined. Add in powdered sugar, peanut butter, milk and vanilla and continue to mix until creamy.
- Spread over warm brownies and allow to cool (this will set the frosting) before cutting the brownies.