Chocolate SPINACH BROWNIES with Peanut Butter Frosting recipe. This is a EASY way to get kids or adults to eat their vegetables. You won’t believe how delicious these brownies are! They’re also made with the best peanut butter frosting recipe ever!
The color green. What do you think of?
In many people’s minds, the color green isn’t something you usually think of when you think of sweet desserts. I hear that little kids fear their green vegetables so sneaky parents have to find ways to incorporate it into their meals. Well I don’t have a little kid, but I still like being sneaky, even if it means just being sneaky to myself.
Best Spinach Recipes
As soon as I picked the spinach in the garden I knew I wanted to bake with it! From past recipes I love adding vegetables to sweet treats! (see: avocado brownies, pumpkin brownies). So I decided to keep it simple and keep the brownie tradition alive. The brownie tradition should never end. Can you imagine a world without brownies? I surely cannot!
I have to admit I was unsure about how these spinach brownies were going to turn out. I was worried because of the amount of spinach that are in these brownies, 1 whole cup pureed, which equals about 4-5 cups raw. That is a large amount of spinach. But as soon as I poured the spinach puree, gave it a few twirls with my spoon then tasted it, worries were erased. 100%.
Can you taste the spinach? The short answer is sort of. The long answer is not really. I like spinach, I know what it tastes like, so I can pick up a slight spinach taste. But for those who are unaware there is spinach in them, or don’t often eat spinach, they will pass it off as “dark chocolate” tasting. I think that’s the best way to describe them, dark.
I decided to make my favorite peanut butter frosting to go on top of these spinach brownies! I’m in love with this decadent frosting! It’s the perfect sweet frosting to go with these dark brownies.
Spinach Brownies Recipe
Enjoy a healthy spinach salad, but don’t forget that spinach makes a great sweet treat too! Enjoy these chocolate spinach brownies!
Pin for later:
Chocolate Spinach Brownies
Chocolate SPINACH BROWNIES with Peanut Butter Frosting recipe. This is a EASY way to get kids or adults to eat their vegetables. You won't believe how delicious these brownies are! They're also made with the best peanut butter frosting recipe ever!
- 1 cup pureed spinach
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salted butter - melted
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips - melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter - melted
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray 8x8 pan with nonstick spray.
- Take your spinach leaves and put them in the food processor with 1-2 tablespoons of water and pulse until it turns into a puree. Keep doing this until you get 1 full cup of spinach puree. This usually equals about 4-5 cups raw spinach leaves.
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar and sugar together in a bowl. Stir in melted chocolate chips, spinach puree and vanilla.
- In another bowl mix your flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together.
- A little at a time, add your dry flour mixture to your chocolate spinach mixture, stirring continuously until it's all smooth.
- Pour batter in 8x8 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- Put butter and peanut butter in a bowl and mix with electric mixer.
- Slowly pour in your powdered sugar a little at a time. When it starts to thicken, add your 2 tablespoons milk in and continue to mix. You should keep mixing for about 2-3 minutes until your frosting is fluffy. If it's still thick, add a additional tablespoon of milk if needed.
Chocolate Spinach Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Once brownies are cool, spread your peanut butter frosting across them.
- Pat the frosting down with a spatula so it becomes a smooth layer.
- Put in refrigerator for one hour to let the frosting set.
- Cut brownies into squares, enjoy!