These Rocky Road Brownies are rich and fudgy bars loaded with walnuts and a layer of marshmallow fluff. A decadent treat that’s easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd.
You can never go wrong with Rocky Road desserts, I find that sweets such as Rocky Road Ice Cream and Rocky Road Cheesecake are always a hit! With the ooey gooey marshmallow, crunchy nuts and chocolate deliciousness, I always get rave reviews when I serve them at parties.
Brownies are amazing on their own, but when you add a hefty dose of marshmallow fluff to the mix, you end up with a unique and decadent dessert that people go crazy over! I brought these brownies to a party the other night and they disappeared in minutes.
What Is Rocky Road?
Rocky road is one of my favorite flavor combos! It is traditionally made up of marshmallows, chocolate, and some type of nut. This flavor is most common in ice cream or homemade fudge, but also works so well in these brownies. The marshmallow and chocolate combo is heavenly and the walnuts add a lovely crunch.
Ingredients For These Easy Brownies
To make this recipe you start with a traditional brownie base, my all time favorite brownie mix recipe is the base for this delicious rocky road brownie. You can make this up ahead of time by just mixing together the dry ingredients and putting them in an airtight container.
To make the brownie mix you will need:
- Egg whites
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Chopped walnuts
- Marshmallow fluff
Instead of using marshmallows like Rocky Road Brownies typically do, this recipe uses marshmallow fluff. It will make for a more gooey brownie with swirled marshmallow goodness all throughout the brownies. This stuff is magic!
With the leftover marshmallow fluff, do yourself a favor and make a Fluffernutter. Never heard of a Fluffernutter? You’re missing out! It’s a sandwich made with peanut butter and marshmallow fluff usually served on white bread. So yummy!
How Do You Make These Rocky Road Brownies?
These Rocky Road Brownies are incredibly easy to make. The first step is to make the batter, mix egg whites, sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and flour in a medium mixing bowl. A generous amount of walnuts are stirred into the mix.
Spread the batter into a 9×13” baking dish. The batter will look like there’s not enough, but trust me, it’ll work. Add the marshmallow fluff on top of the batter and using a spatula, swirl it around. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool for 30 minutes before cutting and removing them from the dish.
Why You’ll Love This Brownie Recipe
- No mixer required! Just a bowl, spoon, spatula and a 9×13” baking dish.
- There’s no crazy ingredients to hunt down. If you’re not familiar with marshmallow fluff, it’s located in most grocery stores in the baking aisle, or alongside the peanut butter.
- This recipe is very forgiving. If you don’t like or can’t eat nuts, simply leave them out.
Tips For Rocky Road Brownies
- Change it up and try cashews, almond slivers or chopped pecans instead of walnuts.
- These brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- I recommend cutting these brownies into small pieces as they’re quite rich!
Can I Freeze Rocky Road Brownies?
Yes, these brownies freeze very well. Simply, wrap them tightly and store them in a large freezer-safe zip top bag or container. They will stay good for up to three months. That being said, these rocky road brownies are best when they’re fresh. They stay nicely fudgy when stored (in an airtight container) at room temp for up to 5 days.
If you’re making these for a party and are planning to serve the brownies to guests, I recommend serving the day you make them, or even the day after. But these will definitely work to store leftovers in the freezer.
These Rocky Road Brownies are going to take your brownie game to a whole new level. Deliciously moist and fudgy brownies with an ooey gooey mixture of marshmallow fluff and walnuts. You won’t want regular brownies again!
Looking For More Brownie Recipes?
Make sure to check out some of my other favorites!
Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Single Serving Brownie
Diet Coke Brownies
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Brownies
Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies
Vanilla Brownies with Sprinkles
Chocolate Spinach Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
Triple Chocolate Brownies
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Pin for later:
Rocky Road Brownies
- 4 egg whites beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, add egg whites, sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and flour. Stir so batter is completely combined.
- Add walnuts and stir with a spoon.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread batter into the dish. The batter will look like there’s not enough, but trust me, it’ll work.
- Add marshmallow fluff on top of the batter and using a spatula, swirl around.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before cutting and removing from dish.