Classic cream cheese frosting, perfect for cakes and cupcakes. Includes both vanilla and chocolate frosting recipes. Simply add cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk into a bowl and mix! Frost your favorite carrot or banana cake, or add to vanilla and chocolate cupcakes. Recipe will frost 24 cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting for Cupcakes
When you taste this cream cheese frosting the heavens will open and angels will sing. Just kidding, that won’t happen. But you will be like wow – this is the best cream cheese frosting I ever tasted!
Cream cheese frosting is like a smooth-talking, irresistible charmer at a dessert party. It’s the suave Casanova of frostings, spreading its creamy goodness with a mischievous wink and a tangy twirl. With each bite, it whispers sweet nothings to your taste buds, wooing them with its luscious texture and that oh-so-satisfying blend of sweet and tangy flavors.
For real though, this cream cheese frosting is delicious. Along with my buttercream icing, brownie frosting and German chocolate cake frosting it’s my go to for cupcakes and cake (especially carrot cake and banana cake!). Please try it soon!
I will provide both vanilla and chocolate cream cheese frosting recipes below. To make chocolate you simply add cocoa powder.
How much frosting does this make?
This recipe makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes or a 9×13 cake. If making more than that, simply double the recipe.
You will need 4 ingredients for this recipe: cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Cream cheese is the main ingredient in this frosting. The cream cheese adds a tangy flavor and contributes to the creamy texture of the frosting. It’s important to use softened cream cheese to ensure easy mixing.
- Confectioners’ Powdered Sugar, also known as powdered sugar, confectioners’ sugar is finely ground sugar mixed with a small amount of cornstarch. It is used in frosting to provide sweetness and contribute to the smooth texture.
- Vanilla extract is added to enhance the flavor of the frosting. It adds a pleasant aroma and a hint of sweetness. You can use pure vanilla or artificial vanilla extract.
- Milk is used to adjust the consistency of the frosting. It helps make the frosting smoother and easier to spread. You can use regular milk or any non-dairy milk as a substitute if desired. Start with 1 tablespoon and adjust and add more if needed.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
In a mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese with a hand mixer until it becomes smooth and creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, a little at a time, while continuing to beat the mixture. This prevents lumps from forming and ensures a smooth frosting.
Add the vanilla extract and continue to beat the mixture until well combined.
Add milk gradually, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. Be careful not to add too much milk, as it can make the frosting too runny.
Once the frosting has a smooth and creamy texture, it is ready to use and frost cupcakes and cakes.
How to Make Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
If you’d like to turn this into chocolate cream cheese frosting, add 1/2 cup cocoa powder to the bowl and mix.
What to add Cream Cheese Frosting to?
Besides eating it with a spoon (muhahaha) you can add it to these baked goods:
- Cupcakes: Cream cheese frosting is a classic choice for topping cupcakes. Whether it’s vanilla, chocolate, or any other flavor, cream cheese frosting or buttercream frosting is my fav!
- Carrot Cake: Perhaps one of the most iconic pairings, cream cheese frosting is often used to frost carrot cake. The creamy and tangy frosting perfectly complements the spiced and moist carrot cake.
- Banana Cake: Cream cheese frosting is a delicious addition to banana cake. The combination of the moist banana cake and the tangy cream cheese frosting creates a delightful balance of flavors.
- Birthday Cake: Cream cheese frosting can be used to frost birthday cakes. It works well with various cake flavors like chocolate, vanilla, or even funfetti with sprinkles!
- Red Velvet Cake: Cream cheese frosting is a classic choice for red velvet cake. The vibrant red cake layers paired with the tangy cream cheese frosting create a visually appealing and delicious dessert.
- Veggie Cakes: I love adding this to both my green tomato cake and chocolate zucchini cake! It balances out the veggies with a sweetness.
- Cinnamon Rolls: Cream cheese frosting is a popular topping for cinnamon rolls. The creamy frosting adds richness and complements the warm cinnamon flavors of the rolls.
- Pumpkin Rolls: Cream cheese frosting can be a wonderful addition to pumpkin rolls or pumpkin bread. The creaminess of the frosting enhances the flavors of the pumpkin and spices, creating a scrumptious combination.
Here’s my daughter’s 5th birthday cake with this yummy cream cheese frosting.
Does Cream Cheese Frosting Need to Be Refrigerated?
Yes, cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated. If you plan to use the frosting immediately or within a few hours, you can keep it at room temperature. Any longer than that, place in an airtight container, or cover the bowl of frosting with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
When you want to use the refrigerated cream cheese frosting, let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften. You may need to re-whip it briefly to restore its smooth consistency.
Pin for later:
Cream Cheese FrostingPrint
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Add cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk (1 tablespoon) into a bowl and use a electric mixer to blend all together, until frosting becomes fluffy. If frosting seems stiff, add 1 more tablespoon milk and continue mixing.
- Using a spatula or butter knife, spread frosting on cupcakes or cake.
- Enjoy this delicious Cream Cheese Frosting!