This easy to make, mess-free homemade Pumpkin Roll With Cream Cheese Filling is so moist and delicious. It’s the ultimate Thanksgiving or holiday dessert with all of the comforting fall flavors you love!
Simple and sweet pumpkin roll recipe
Looking for the most delectable spiced dessert to the ring in the holidays? Then you have to try my Pumpkin Roll With Cream Cheese Filling! A soft and moist pumpkin sheet cake is rolled with a luscious cream cheese filling for an out-of-this-world dessert that always fits in on the Thanksgiving, Christmas, or autumn dessert table.
Raise your hand if you’re intimidated by the roll when making a roll cake. It isn’t a hard skill to master, especially with my helpful instructions! Regardless if it’s a success or a flop, the pumpkin cake always tastes amazing (even if it ends up with a few cracks).
For the authentic flavors of fall, I seasoned this pumpkin cake with warming spices and fresh pumpkin puree from pumpkins I grew in my garden. While this gives the cake added moisture and an irresistible flavor, you’re more than welcome to use storebought puree instead. The warm cake is rolled once in cheesecloth and left to cool before the creamy frosting is added and rolled one final time.
Not only is this easy pumpkin roll delicious and perfect for the holidays, but it can be made days or even weeks ahead of time! All you have to do is let the cake chill in the fridge or freezer while you prepare the Thanksgiving Turkey, Amish Potato Stuffing, and Mashed Potatoes for dinner. How easy is that?
How to make an easy pumpkin cake roll from scratch
This dessert recipe is somewhat technical, so it’s important to be ready for action. Have all of the elements ready, quickly roll the cake, and, before you know it, you’ll be enjoying slice after slice! Here’s how it’s done:
Spray a rimmed baking sheet (these are my favorite baking sheets) with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper (so there’s some sticking up from all four edges).
Make the pumpkin cake batter by mixing all of the dry and wet ingredients together in one bowl.
Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, making sure to spread it out to the edges. Then place it in the oven to bake.
Lay a damp piece of cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel on the counter. Sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Carefully flip the baking sheet with the baked cake over and onto the cloth.
Carefully roll up the cloth with the cake to form the pumpkin roll. Immediately place it in the fridge to cool.
In the meantime, prepare the cream cheese filling by whipping the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar together.
After 20 minutes, unroll the cooled cake and spread the cream cheese filling on one side, edge to edge. Gently re-roll it once more, then cut it into slices and enjoy!
Tips to make the best pumpkin roll
- For the best pumpkin flavor, make the cake with homemade pumpkin puree.
- Use a 10×15 and 11×17 rimmed baking sheet to bake the cake. It must have rims or else the batter could spill.
- To prevent the cake from sticking to the pan, spray the baking sheet liberally with cooking spray or use parchment paper. The parchment paper can also be used in place of the cheesecloth when rolling.
- If using cheesecloth to roll the cake, make sure it’s damp. This will prevent it from sticking to the cake.
- Did your pumpkin roll crack? This is most likely because the cake wasn’t warm when it was first rolled. Heat and moisture prevent the cake from cracking, which is why it should be rolled as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- For presentation, I always like to sprinkle a little bit of powdered sugar on top. You can also pipe extra cream cheese frosting on top and sprinkle it with pecans or walnuts.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Pumpkin log rolls are one of the best make-ahead desserts and will save you loads of time around the holidays. I usually make mine the night before Thanksgiving and then pull it out of the fridge before serving.
If you want to store it longer than a day, cover the cake in plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure to decorate it right before serving.
Can you freeze a pumpkin roll?
Yes! Wrap the baked and frosted cake or individual slices in plastic and aluminum foil before freezing. Make sure it defrosts overnight in the fridge, then enjoy the next day.
More sweet pumpkin desserts to try
Pin for later:
Pumpkin Roll With Cream Cheese FillingPrint
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons confectioners powdered sugar
For the cream filling
- 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstickspray spray to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Continue to stir until all smooth.
- Pour mixture into cookie sheet, spreading until mixture smooth and even.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lay a damp piece of cheesecloth down on a clean counter. Sprinkle it with 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar. When cake comes out, turn cookie sheet upside down and put the cake onto the cheesecloth.
- Carefully roll up the cheesecloth with cake, forming your pumpkin roll.
- Place in refrigerator until cool, about 20 minutes.
- While cooling, preparing your cream filling. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar until smooth.
- When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread cream filling onto it, edge to edge. Immediately re-roll (not with cheesecloth).
- Cut into slices and enjoy!