DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE Kidney Bean Brownies! This healthy easy recipe makes brownies with kidney beans instead of butter and oil! They are topped with the BEST peanut butter frosting! Easy to make them completely gluten free and vegan too!
If you had to ask me my favorite treat, it would be a 3 way tie.
First, there’s donuts. What’s not to love about them? They’re sweet, they have icing, they’re cute and circle shaped, they often have sprinkles. I just love them.
Recently, I’m all about scones and clotted cream. A nice big spoonful of cream. There’s a shop nearby that has mixed berry scones and it’s out of this world. It’s the best scone I ever had. I hope Matthew is reading this and understands this means I want a date to the scone place. As soon as possible. Thanks babe.
Third, there’s brownies. Just say the word “Brownie”. Don’t you feel better? It doesn’t matter if they are homemade brownies, bought in a shop, or made from a box. I’ll say yes to any brownie. My favorite brownies are moist and fudgy when you bite into them. There’s always a thick layer of frosting on top, to the point that it makes up 1/2 of the brownie. I need a brownie right now.
Did someone ask for a brownie? Ok, I did. Say hello to these Sorta Healthy Red Bean Brownies with Sinful Peanut Butter Frosting.
I like to call them sorta healthy because they are made with red beans (I love creating desserts with beans!). Instead of butter and a lot of oil, the red beans take care of that and make the brownies moist. I’m not calling them healthy because let’s be honest, if you want a brownie, you’re probably not going for healthy. In fact I’d say you have one goal: eat a brownie, make sure it’s delicious.
The Peanut Butter Frosting is sinful. The dictionary tells me that sinful means wicked; extremely enjoyable in a way that makes you feel guilty. And that’s pretty much this frosting. I made a tweet a few nights ago exclaiming that I couldn’t stop eating frosting. This was that frosting. It’s delicious. It will change your life. You will want to clean the bowl. You will clean the bowl.
The taste test for these brownies was pretty great.
When I made these a few nights ago, I left them in the fridge and Matthew exclaimed at midnight “Get these out of the house! They’re so great”. Then he went on to say “These might be the best brownies you ever made”. Well that caused a smile.
So the next day I took them to our work space where I fed a bunch of brownie loving late 20, early 30 year old men. I put them down around 12:30PM. When I went back at 3:05PM they were gone. The entire plate! Well that just made my day. Thankfully I got to grab one during lunch and I can agree, they are pretty darn amazing.
So next time you are in the brownie mood, a frosting mood, or just need a treat that will take all the worries away bake up a batch of these Sorta Healthy Red Bean Brownies with Sinful Peanut Butter Frosting!
Pin for later:
Kidney Bean Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE Brownies made with KIDNEY BEANS! This healthy easy recipe makes brownies with kidney beans instead of butter and oil! They are topped with the BEST peanut butter frosting! Easy to make them completely gluten free and vegan too!
For the brownies
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans dark or light - drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil can substitute coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter - melted
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Sprinkles optional.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in chocolate chips and mix with spoon so they are equally distributed.
- Grease a 8x8 pan and pour brownie mixture in it. Take a spatula to smooth out the top.
- Bake the brownies for 16-18 minutes and remove from oven.
- Put butter and peanut butter in a bowl and mix with electric mixer.
- Slowly pour in your powdered sugar a little at a time. When it starts to thicken, add your 2 tablespoons milk in and continue to mix. You should keep mixing for about 2-3 minutes until your frosting is fluffy. If it's still thick, add a additional tablespoon of milk if needed.
- Once brownies are cool, spread your peanut butter frosting across them.
- Pat the frosting down with a spatula so it becomes a smooth layer. Add sprinkles on top and press down with spatula again.
- Put in refrigerator for one hour to let the frosting set.
- Cut into 20 brownie squares, enjoy!
If you like this post you might also like: